ADVERTISEMENT

A few random thoughts

EagleGradCC

All Region
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2009
I was obviously pretty apprehensive when I saw TC was out. So, spent part of my day familiarizing myself with him.

Excellent on the move, seems to process faster than TC, and seems unflappable. Probably an overall better passer than TC by a level or two particularly effective with the deep ball and deep outs. Very decisive player, sees he field, has a plan and implements it.

The biggest takeaway for me was his interviews. This is very much an adult. Doesn't carry himself or speak like a college kid. Well spoken, logical - the kind of person companies are chomping at the bit to hire. Had I not known otherwise I'd have though he was on the back end of his twenties based on how he speaks.

Of course the caveat here is that to me TC is the beating heart of this club. Such high and positive energy. Someone is going to have to step up and lead.

As many of you probably know, WK is also going with their backup QB. Their starter was 6'7 and has started for LSU and for Auburn - and at Auburn started for them in the Iron Bowl against Bama one year. Explosive arm, among the strongest I've ever seen. But a slow processor and ultimately a bad decision maker with a way less than average accuracy.

From the film I've watched the backup is better. Looks real solid to me. WKU is a fun a nifty team - but ultimately flawed as one would expect a CUSA team. to be. So, I feel like we're down a little but with TC out and they're better off with their starter out. So, makes sense to me the line would drop even with their backup QB in as well.

I feel like tomorrow we see an inside out kind of offense. Focus on running with some well-timed deep balls, outs, bootlegs, (hopefully) a lot of play pass.

I'm excited to see this matchup. Who doesn't want to see the fightin' Zappe's? WKU's offense is just fun. Someone called it the, "Pro Raid " meaning 50% Pro-Style and 50% Air Raid and this sounds about right to me. Defensively their primary set is the old 3-3-5 stack you'll remember from the Rich Rod days at WVU when they were a natty contender. I think our WR's have relatively low # of targets but a big day. I think me run on them effectively and shorten the game.

My old BC brain loathes this game. Feels like exactly the kind where we shit the bed. But I don't feel that. I feel like we handle this, maybe not in a massive score differential, but good enough to keep the mo' train running. Which brings me to my next point:

Did you all see the two clowns who do the bowl projections for USA Today left us out entirely? I'm sorry, that's not an opinion that passes muster. Hell, maybe not even an opinion but an outright oversight. You do not predict that a 3-1 without opponent pedigree today and the remaining schedule we have will end up bowl ineligible. That is horseshit.

And finally, I can't state how much I enjoy this team. These are good guys, with good energy - and they're playing well. Exactly the kind of group I always hope to see represent BC.

Treshaun Ward is a relevation in my book. Talk about an angry and efficient runner! I thoroughly enjoy watching him play. His run at the top of the 3rd against MSU was a sensation. I thought it got far less talk here and in the media than it should have. Professional level stuff there. Beast mode.

TC is an absolute delight. I have more confidence in him than I sense many here do. While his passing can be ragged at times, for me he's the beating heart of this team. A true leader. A juice guy. A dawg.

Same with Lewis Bond. Smart and tough, and his interview at the end of the MSU game was so fun and real. Such a good kid.

I could name so many now but it's a long season.

One last thought: I've been to tons of Gameday games, Fox Big Noon games, and for me, I gotta say, I thought the ACC Network did it better than both of them. I get the gripes about all the ACCN games, and totally understand the exposure thing, but I find them absolutely 1st rate and for me I'm ready to welcome that crew to the Heights anytime.

Oh, one more finally: Some of you will remember my comments when everyone was clamoring for BOB every time we had a HC vacancy. The term knuckle-dragger was used. I'm here to admit than and to say how wrong I was. Oddly, I was thrilled when he was hired. Some of that had to do with the fact that I loathed the Hafley hire and then disliked the way his teams played even more. The felt soft to me mentally and physically. It was also because my dislike of BOB was b/c he took the Ped State gig. I'm more mature than that now.

Anyway, I love this team!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.