ADVERTISEMENT

Zack - favor - Ky's shot

DereknNC

All State
Gold Member
Nov 14, 2001
Zack, let me start by saying, I realize the ridiculous nature of this…some random BC fan in NC asking you to pass a message along to a player or to the coaches. With that said, please pass along this message to Ky and the coaching staff :) !

In watching the game last night, it struck me for some reason that Ky’s shot looks like it has changed a bit from last year. I mean, we do have to admit that “something” is off. As a frosh he shot .449 from three and .492 overall. As a sophomore he is shooting .342 from three and .416 overall. Those are obviously huge differences. You typically don’t see deltas that big year over year. Especially from a very good player of Ky’s level. We all knew he couldn’t do .449 and .492 again this year, but he’s fallen off quite a bit.

Maybe he’s getting more defensive attention this year than last? Yes, maybe. Maybe he’s taking harder shots this year than last? Yes, maybe. Maybe he’s shooting from longer range more this season instead of driving like last year? Yes, maybe. Or maybe his forward motion to release has changed slightly and he’s less consistent? Yes, maybe.

Freshman Year: I looked at video from Ky last year and the forward motion of his shot clearly started around the mid-forehead / top-forehead area.

Sophomore Year: Now Ky brings the ball back close to the top of his head (definitely above his forehead) and the forward motion starts from in between the top of the forehead and top of the head.

We are talking inches here. Maybe it’s just a two-inch difference from where Ky is starting his forward motion this year versus last year? But, two inches in a basketball shot can be the difference between .492 and .416! Starting forward motion from back towards the top of the head creates more of an upward motion to release, creating more arc and a “harder” shot. Pop does this as well. But thankfully Pop doesn’t take many long range shots. Starting from a lower angle around the mid-forehead area often creates a lower, softer shot. From the forehead there is a bit more forward motion, less arc, often softer.

Check out Steph Curry on Youtube. Klay Thompson. Forward motion starts close to mid forehead. Check out Marcus Smart on Youtube...forward motion starts further back towards top of head.

I am not saying starting forward motion from the top of the head is wrong. That works for plenty of guys. Everyone is different. Everyone has slightly different mechanics and form. What I am saying is, I think Ky is a better shooter when he starts his forward motion from closer to the middle/top of his forehead area. I think that works better for him.

Again, I realize the ridiculous nature of this ask. But maybe this tip will turn Ky around…BC will win the ACC tourney and go dancing?

I have two pictures side-by-side that I clipped off Youtube that will show the difference between this year and last year. But I cannot figure out how to attach pictures (maybe we can't?). Tell the staff to pull some tape and check and compare this year and last year…they will see it :) ! It’s just a couple inches, but it's changed Ky's stroke. Ky looks more like Marcus Smart than Steph Curry!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News