ADVERTISEMENT

Why Can’t BC get good coaches?

tkden

All State
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2004
Denver
This question is starting to genuinely puzzle now that it looks like hiring Coach Grant was a mistake. It all started with Spaziani, BC was pretty good under Tom O’Brien maybe even better than that, Jagodzinski came along and inherited many good players and won but he had character problems but Spaz was the first disaster, I remember
Todd Blackledge denouncing him* on national tv and he knew Spaziani well from Penn St and was dead on, Spaz may have known defenses but was way under water as a head coach. Then along comes Addazio and it took the school five years or was it six to determine he was too dumb and bull headed to be a head football coach. Now we got this whizkid Hafley who was supposed to right the three previous failures and all he did was to lead BC to one its worst records in history. But wait there’s basketball to save the reputation wasn’t BC the school who got Bob Cousy to give up a comfortable retirement and enter the heated world of major college coaching and then got coaching greats Chuck Daly, Tom Davis and Gary Williams to to lead the Eagles to big winning seasons. What happened? Al Skinner BC’s first black coach was hired from URI to coach a team gutted by the sudden departure of Jim O’Brien who won but left under a cloud of suspicion, Skinner stuck it out for 12 years before getting let go and won 28 games in the 2005-2006 season BC’s first in the ACC and the most wins in school’s history. In retrospect it was a mistake to fire Skinner because he was followed after two lackluster years with Steve Donohue an Ivy league coach not ready for the big time, by Jim Christian, a terrible hire from day one who managed to hang on for seven long dreary years when the BC basketball program sunk to historical lows and now Earl Grant as mentioned above isn’t looking like a winner. So I ask again as an alum who remembers 8&9 routine winning football seasons and 20 plus hoop seasons, what happened?
*Blackledge’s exact words were “I love Coach Spaz but as a head coach I don’t know………”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News