ADVERTISEMENT

The Rundown (6/29)

JRowland

All Region
Staff
May 29, 2001
Here's a late night or Monday morning edition of The Rundown to consume and digest as you're getting your week going. Frankly, things are looking pretty good for BC's recruiting class. Whatever the ranking the staff has filled up the spots with players that are rated highly on their own board, not waiting around for other players that had been mentioned earlier.

First -- K.J. Gray

BC took Gray's commitment as a receiver.There's been some speculation here that Gray could play other positions but that's really speculation. A source told me today that he's a receiver in the eyes of the BC staff. He does have the tools to play in the secondary but because St. Peter's Prep has had some big-time defensive backs this will really be the first year when he's had to step up there. So the staff will evaluate him in the secondary this year, but they took him as a receiver.

They like the fact that he's put together (6-foot-1, 195), but they really like the fact that he's nowhere near maxed out. I've said that before. Avoiding the 'raw' label (not entirely accurate), the feeling is he is nowhere near full potential.

"Three years from now he can be a special player," I was told.

So when did Gray start to lean heavily towards BC?

I'm told it was pretty recent. He's close friends with a few kids at BC and a few kids from the incoming '15 high school class. There were some clues he was really interested and there was some coordination in advance of his commitment. So we knew about it in advance and the staff obviously did, too.

The numbers game?

Sources I spoke with don't seem as set on numbers right now. I was under the impression they were just about done three commitments ago so now folks are just laughing and saying it's up to Steve Addazio and he's confident everything's going to work out like it should. The numbers will be up to the head coach.

They aren't entirely done yet as offensive tackle Lucas Niang was one of the top visitors during their recent four-day camp. He was there with his team and he did have about a ten minute meeting with Addazio, but I got the impression that he's not exactly wearing it on his sleeve as far as where he's leaning, if he's leaning anywhere.

There were a couple of quarterbacks that were solid at the recent extended camp session but Jordan McAfee and Sean Clifford are the major '17 targets along with Chase Brice from Georgia (more of a stretch). There was talk of an offer to Johnathan Lewis recently -- SPP's dual-threat -- but a source told me recently that offer is not really out yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News