ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 5

walker4bc

All Region
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
I know you all missed this feature last week (I was traveling and only caught the first half of the game), so here it is. Bottom line, that game hurt. It was winnable and we just made too many mistakes to beat a good team (see the Ugly in particular). This is now 5 weeks in a row that we have seen false starts, delay of game penalties and bad form on tackling. At this point, it is no longer on the players - the coaches own it now for not getting it fixed. Very, very frustrating.

The Good
  • Maitre. Should have been starting from game 1.
  • Dillon and Bailey. Both guys ran really hard and picked up the yards that were there and some.
  • Glines continues to play well and made plays on both offense and special teams again.
  • Offensive line really dominated play up front. They were so good today that I thought on the 4th and 2 that they gave the ball to Dillon (or maybe it was Bailey) they should have actually snuck it. And they did a nice job of opening holes.
  • Max Richardson and Jon Lamot both had huge games.
  • Rayam and Valdez continue to show flashes of huge potential. Karafa solid as usual.
  • Travis Levy's returns were pretty good (but he gets a Bad mention too).
The Bad
  • Drops. There were a couple of passes that probably should have been caught that cost us points this game.
  • Our punting is costing us a net 10 yards on each change of possession. I can't see the punts on TV, but it seems like they are generally either very short or very low and returnable.
  • Brown's interceptions. Overall, AB had a pretty good game but the two throws that were intercepted were not good.
  • Levy's ball security was not good today.
  • Tackling was much improved but I still put it in the bad category. Too many times we had guys stopped for no gain and they ended up with 5 yards. How about we tackle someone around the legs just one time this season. Is that too much to ask?
  • Our younger LBs (Sparacio in particular) really need to learn to cover guys. It was an automatic first down whenever they were matched up with a tight end or WR on the outside.
The Ugly
  • Penalties. We basically lost this game thanks to penalties. The delay of game on the FG is inexcusable, but we also killed multiple drives with false starts. Really a sign of a poorly coached team that you have these same mistakes killing you week after week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News