ADVERTISEMENT

Springfield's William Watson has many connections to BC

JRowland

All Region
Staff
May 29, 2001
Boston College is already off to a quality start in the 2023 recruiting class, completely on the strength of a trio of verbal commitments from its home state of Massachusetts.

Jeff Hafley has his eyes on another talented young prospect from the state as well, and one that has ties to numerous BC pledges.

“Picking up scholarships has opened my eyes, basically shown me what I can do as a young man, as a player. It’s also helped me get other offers,” said 2023 quarterback William Watson.

The Springfield (Massachusetts) standout passed for over 2,500 yards and 32 touchdowns during his last season, rushing for 7 more.

“Honestly, I feel like my whole game has gotten better. I feel faster, feel like I throw the ball better, feel like my arm has gotten stronger. There’s always room for improvement. I could be more accurate, more precise, lead people better on deep passes,” Watson said.

He’s seen the fruits of his labor pay off, with Arizona, Boston College, Michigan, Oregon, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee all extending scholarships so far.

The three aforementioned BC pledges, plus another from the 2022 class, are all players with which Watson has familiarity. That could help the Eagles’ cause.

Said Watson: “Four of my friends have committed there. Joe Griffin, Jaeden (Skeete), Boubacar (Traore) and “DaDa” (Datrell Jones). They all ended up committing. I think that played a big role in me looking into them, because I know I would have athletes that can compete with anyone in the country around me.”

In addition to the local factor, the 5-foot-10, 165-pounder is also intrigued by BC’s offensive style and personnel.

"I know Boston College has a great offensive system, great o-linemen, and they also bring in great tight ends which would be a big target they could use," he sid.

While communication is limited even over the phone and virtually for 2023 prospects, Watson has an eye toward the end of the NCAA’s in-person shutdown in order to get to better know some of the programs he has interest in at this time.

“After the dead period, I do want to focus on the schools that have offered me and I want to get out to all those schools during the summer,” he said.

While football-related factors will carry plenty of importance for Watson, he also wants to make sure his future is secure. That, plus enjoying his collegiate experience, will be key.

“I want to have a Plan B. Right now, my plan B is being in broadcasting and communication. I know most colleges have that, and I want to go there and major in that,” he said. “I also want to have fun in college, be able to have fun with friends on campus and off-campus. I want to win national championships, too."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News