ADVERTISEMENT

Potential

Bantameagle

All State
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2001
2016-17 Men's Basketball Roster
NO. NAME CLASS POS. HT. WT. HOMETOWN / HIGH SCHOOL PREVIOUS SCHOOL

Starters: Five of the six will likely start but all six should play a lot. My contention is that Robinson and Turner have earned the right to start but that Turner will have to be more aggressive on offense. Tava and Jeffers have already both started on Division 1 teams for two years so they are also proven commodities. That leaves Bowan and Graves who are out top two recruits to fill in should with one open slot and a second should Turner not step forward. Regardless, the sixth man role is often as critical as any role to the success of an organization.

0 Ky Bowman Fr. Guard 6-1 182 Havelock, N.C. / Havelock

1 Jerome Robinson So. Guard 6-5 190 Raleigh, N.C. / Needham Broughton

3 Ty Graves Fr. Guard 6-0 165 Greensboro, N.C. / High Point Christian Academy

11 A.J. Turner So. Forward 6-7 188 Mt. Clemens, Mich. / New Hampton School (NH)

2 Connar Tava Gr. Forward 6-6 250 Warren De La Salle Western Michigan

15 Maurice Jeffers Gr. Forward 6-9 240 Washington, D.C. / Calvin Coolidge Delaware

Second Team: All five of these players have potential to impact this year. They are all good players. Owens is a senior, has but on weight and muscle and has earned playing time. Unfortunately, he is neither the shooter a three should be or have the size to be a four at this high a level of Division One. Chapman is also an interesting story. He was targeted at BYU to start or play real minutes in his second year of eligibility. He can shoot, handle the ball and play good defense. He could be a real good sixth or seventh man or even start if the opportunity presents itself. Popovic is bigger and stronger than originally thought. I think he will likely get more and more playing time as the year goes forward. Should there be injuries to Jeffers or Tava, watch for his playing time to really increase quickly. Reyes and Muiznieks could also assert themselves. Both have talent and intensity. I would not be surprised if either one of these guys has really strong performances when given the chance in January or February, 2017.

5 Garland Owens Sr. Forward 6-5 222 Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder

10 Ervins Meznieks So. Forward 6-7 230 Riga, Latvia / Rigas Teikas

12 John Carlos Reyes R-Fr. F/C 6-10 214 Lawrenceville, Ga. / Sound Doct. Christ. Acad.

21 Nik Popovic Fr. Forward 6-11 243 Bosnia / The Sagemont School (FL)

25 Jordan Chatman Gr. Guard 6-5 198 Vancouver, Wash. / Union BYU

The Rest: Sagay is the crazy eight on this team. He could be starting in the NBA in four years or flipping burgers in Hartford. Obviously, I want the best for all these students but this guy is an anomaly. He is 6-8, best athlete on the team who can dribble and shoot. The kid can jump out of Conte. I don't think the other two play this year.

23 Mike Sagay Fr. Forward 6-7 200 Bloomfield, Conn. / St. Thomas More School

14 Aser Ghebremichael So. Forward 6-8 195 Somerville, Mass. / Brooks School

20 Gordon Gehan So. Guard/Forward 6-5 220 Dallas, Texas / Episcopal School of Dallas

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News