ADVERTISEMENT

OT Life of a graduate transfer

weswood25

All Region
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2004
A former player I coached is now in position to be a graduate transfer. Aaron Calixte is graduating from Maine with another year to play. He averaged 16.9 ppg this past year for Maine as their pg. He came by to talk things over and see what I and other people who were close to him thought about his upcoming decision. His coach, Coach Walsh is not coming back to Maine so Aaron is lucky in that aspect because Walsh is really helping him lay out his best options for transfer to a bigger program and communicating with coaches all around the country. In the last 2 weeks over 30 schools have contacted him offering a variety of pitches as to why he should go to their school. Mid majors such as fairfield, hofstra, etc, and all the way to bigger schools like Providence, Arizona, and Oklahoma have been in touch. Coach Walsh is really helping him figure out who fits him best in terms of style of play, depth chart,etc. It is really interesting to hear the perspective of a 22 year old on all of this as well. He is kind of overwhelmed by the whole experience of being lightly recruited at Maine and now some of the big boys are calling. Oklahoma was in his living room and offered him last night. It really is a lot of pressure on him because this one year is going to dictate his future. Overall he has a good head on his shoulders and is getting some good guidance. He wants to find a winning team (chance at tournament) where he can contribute and set himself up for a career in europe. The big schools obviously concern him because of their ability to bring in 4-5 star players over him at any moment. It really is a lot for him to balance. Just thought I'd share how quickly all this happens once they decide to transfer and how quickly the coaches from other schools get involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News