ADVERTISEMENT

O Line and Beyond

kevinfenwick

All State
Sep 3, 2007
I'm of the mindset ( as a fan with limited technical football knowledge) that an O line tells much about a team's personality. Traditionally, we all know BC's reputation as having a tough, physical, dictating, nasty O line. In Spaz's first game as HC, I made the comment to my tailgate group that something had changed, and that we were going to have problems down the road with the coach because the O line played "differently".

When Daz arrived, the first thing he did was restore the historical aggressive attitude of the O line, which immediately translated into wins with lesser surrounding overall talent than even mediocre BC teams were normally comprised.

While it is really disheartening and somewhat surprising that Daz has not been able to get this O line group to improve, let alone gel and become decent, there are so many new issues of concern for me regarding Daz now. Game planning, game and clock management, offensive philosophy have all been documented on this board and beyond as legitimate concerns. I am leaning in the direction that even if the O line is better next year ( which it should be), these other issues loom so large that Daz will not be able to get us to a level above what we have already experienced with him around 7-8 wins.

However, my biggest criticism ( and that is saying something considering my opinion reversal of him in the last 3 months) is one of recruiting. I am not " necessarily" a star guy, but player development has to follow player evaluation. We see evidence of weakness by this staff in both areas continuing.

Poor recruiting is a reality. Daz was hired, in no small part, to recruit. Averaging 2 plus stars is failing in my humble opinion. We should be slightly above 3 stars at this point. We have apparently wasted scholarship on QB's as an example. My point is that I think that as poorly conceived as Daz.s offensive philosophy has proven to be for this program, it's the bad recruiting which is the root.

We will know very quickly coming out of the gate next year where we stand with our HC. Yet, I see nothing in the way of recruiting news which leads me to believe the product on the field can dramatically change since player development ( on offense) is highly questionable.

Daz's recruiting is looking more and more similar to Spaz than to even TOB.

No wonder the scheduling strategy is embarrassing. But that's a different issue. Or is it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News