Marcellus Bowman reflects on recruiting

JRowland

All Region
Staff
May 29, 2001
Marcellus Bowman Q&A

Justin Rowland
EagleAction.com Recruiting Analyst

EagleAction.com continues with our series of interviews with former BC players looking back on the recruiting process.

789773.jpg
spacer1.gif

Ken Babbitt
spacer1.gif

Marty Bowman at BC.
Today we present our discussion withMarcellus Bowman. He was ranked the No. 35 prospect in Ohio coming out of high school as a member of the Class of 2015 and played for Boston College from 2006-2009 after redshirting in 2005.

Bowman was a first team all-state selection in Ohio as a senior at Youngstown (Ohio) Liberty and as a senior for the Eagles he put everything together, finishing second on the team in tackles (73) and added two sacks and two picks.

Since finishing at Boston College he's spent a lot of time playing professionally in the Canadian Football League, and he's also a personal trainer and a nutrition coach. Bowman resides in Hamilton, Ontario.

EagleAction.com: Looking back at stories during your recruitment it looks like BC, Pitt and West Virginia were the main schools you were looking at. Is that accurate?

Marcellus Bowman: That's pretty accurate. Purdue was also kind of in here and then actually right after I committed Ohio State and Michigan came in and that made things awkward for a second (laughing). The whole recruiting process was awesome to go through. It kind of validates everything you've done up to that point. Now I can look back and see how I handled this or that. When it actually came down to making decisions it was difficult in the sense that I didn't like saying no. I was so appreciative of each team offering me a scholarship, I didn't want to say no to anyone. After going to Boston College, actually going on a visit and being with the players, it definitely was a different kind of athlete and a different culture there.

EagleAction.com: You spent time with Will Blackmon and Grant Adams, among others. How important was it to meet with those guys?

Bowman: During the process you kinda get used to the coach talk. Every coach that comes up to you gives you a strong handshake and pats you on the back to kind of see what you're made of (laughing). You kind of get used to that. After going to chill out with the players, especially guys like Will Blackmon and Grant Adams who were handling business at the time, and seeing how they navigate the school, that was big. They were so welcoming to me, not even knowing who I was. They treated me really, really well and it was a genuine thing. It wasn't something forced.

EagleAction.com: You grew up an Ohio State fan. How hard do you think it is for a lot of guys to put aside childhood preferences and make a decision based on other things?

Bowman: It's definitely a process. When I say the majority of people in Ohio are rabid Ohio State fans, it's true. To not get interest or a scholarship from Ohio State isn't the best feeling. But it's someone of a transitional period you go through, from being loyal to Ohio State or other schools to being loyal to the school (you choose). The idea of going outside of Ohio to play football … there is a transitional period. After really understanding what kind of a decision I was making it was really easy. At the end of the day you want to go where you're wanted. Initially it's a little uncomfortable or unsettling if you don't get the offer (you were looking for at first), but you're at the bottom of the ladder and you've got to work your way up. You go where you're wanted.

EagleAction.com: You were the second player to commit to BC in the recruiting class. Did you like being one of the first or would you have preferred to see who else was going to be in the class to know what you're getting into?

Bowman: I wasn't overly concerned with that. Of course, there was a point when I kinda wished I wasn't the first and to see who else is going. You kind of don't want to be the first to say, 'Okay, you guys are good enough for me' (laughing). But looking at (BC's) history is what really sold me. I knew they would bring in quality people. Especially with the same staff. So that really didn't bother me.

EagleAction.com: How hard was it to make your decision and choose just one school, beyond having a hard time saying no?

Bowman:I was swayed as I visited schools. When I visited Cincinnati I would say, 'Okay, that's it.' I visited Pitt and thought, 'That's it.' Purdue, too. Different places. But I visited Boston College and after I saw a few other schools I didn't want to go anywhere else. That raised my confidence. That and the overall vibe I got there.

EagleAction.com: Do you keep up with how the program's doing or have any thoughts on where they're at right now?

Bowman: Most definitely. I feel like they're definitely headed in the right direction. The new hype Coach (Steve) Addazio's bringing in is something that was definitely necessary. My last few years at BC, I feel like that's when we kind of peaked and started transitioning in the other direction. I left and watched some games up in Canada whenever I was able to see them on TV. I watched their defense and I just thought it was time to freshen it up and the way we went about things. That and getting to the self-sacrificing and what BC stands for. I was ultimately happy they were able to make a transition to the new coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News