ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry York: Ultimate BC guy

duda

All Region
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
this is a nice story regarding St. Jerry.

My nephew is a senior at BC High. Worked really hard in the classroom and outside of school. The school transformed him. He was a marginal student going in and a bit of a wayward kid. Four years at BC High and has over a 4.0 gpa, and works three jobs. As focused as they come. Goes to funerals for the homeless when nobody else is there, because he doesnt want them to be alone. Just a top notch kid.

Anyways he applied to a bunch of schools and got in most everywhere. BC, BU, Northeastern, Villanova, Catholic U, Fordham, Santa Clara. His parents are not wealthy and could barely afford BC high let alone college. He was very much interested in the financial aid packages these schools offered.

His one unredeeming quality is that he wanted to go to BU. Wants to get into their neuropych program. There is a scholarship known as the Medeiros Scholarship through BC high that gives one student a full ride to BU. He applied and wanted it really badly. Went through a bunch of interviews. Ends up not getting in and was crushed.

About the same time, he gets his financial aid package from BC. They didnt give him a dime. He wasnt all that high on BC to begin, much to my and my father's chagrin, but once the donut came in from financial aid, he was done with them...until today.

About 3:00pm today out of nowhere my nephew gets a call from Jerry York. My nephew does not play hockey at BC High. Coach York asks him why he hasnt sent his response to BC and asked if he could help him with any questions he has. Apparently coach York calls all BC high kids who get in to BC but dont send in their acceptance application.

Coach York spends 15 minutes talking to my nephew, and my nephew tells him about the financial aid situation. Coach York congratulates him and says you sound like a really good, well rounded kid. No promises but let me take a walk down to the financial aid office today and see what the situation is.

They plan to talk tomorrow. Unreal. Been talking to my nephew today and he is still not sure if he wants to go to BC even if he gets some relief financially. Just an unreal gesture from Coach York. My family who already holds him in high esteem, is blown away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News