ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State and Clemson’s Bluff

Bantameagle

All State
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2001
As best as I can tell, it is just about getting a bigger piece of the ESPN money. The agreement with ESPN is solid and the only way to leave it is to pay a huge exit fee and then lose your TV revenues until the contract expires. That is a really bad solution for a university President. In fact, that is how you get yourself fired.

Clemson and Ohio State have both recently won National Championships. Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame and Miami can all still recruit with the best of the SEC. With the new 12 team play off, the top two ACC teams will likely get in every year.

So what this is about is increasing the bigger football school’s negotiating power in putting together a new agreement between themselves and the rest of the ACC Universities. And by the way, not agreeing to Stanford, Berkeley and SMU is part of the same plan. They are searching for leverage wherever they can find it.

For me, I hope they leave, pay the league $120,000,000 and then pay the rest of the schools their TV revenue for the next twelve years. With them gone, we add the three school who want membership and maybe cherry pick a few more. By leaving, they would be taking a huge gamble that could easily negatively affect their programs into perpetuity. (Don’t let the screen door hit you as you’re leaving. )

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News