Class of 2023 Commit Fred Payne Says BC Made Him Feel 'Special'

andy_backstrom

All State
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2020

Class of 2023 Commit Fred Payne Says BC Made Him Feel 'Special'​

Andy Backstrom (@andybackstrom)
Publisher

Boston College men's basketball head coach Earl Grant flew out to Spring, Texas, to see Fred Payne work out at 7 a.m.

"He was in the gym before I was, and that surprised me," Payne told Eagle Action.

Payne, a 6-foot-2 Class of 2023 combo guard from Legacy the School of Sport Sciences, was intrigued by the interest BC's coaches, namely Grant and and assistant coach Anthony Goins, demonstrated.

The staff, he explained, proved to be the difference maker in his decision as Payne became BC's first commit of the cycle Tuesday night.

"Since the minute they started recruiting me, I mean Coach Grant and Coach Goins always showed love," Payne said. "I went on my visit, and it was a great experience. They made me feel special. And it was like I was at home."

Payne had never been to Boston before, but he enjoyed the city and appreciates how much the community cares about basketball, especially the Boston Celtics.

Grant reeling in a monumental 2022 recruiting class—the first to include two four-star signees since Rivals.com started tracking recruiting data in 2002—factored into Payne's choice, too. Payne mentioned that he's close with incoming guard Chas Kelley, who is originally from Houston.

Payne visited BC in early May, but he was also considering North Texas, Tulane, Houston and Saint Louis.

Payne's recruiting really took off after he averaged 14 points per game at Big Shots Prep Nationals, a three-day event in February that featured 96 teams from the United States and Canada.

He's a lefty combo guard that can score at all three levels. Payne's got quick burst, a nice handle and isn't afraid to attack the paint. He likes to play with a fast pace, but he's a purposeful defender, too, which, of course, fits with the culture Grant created in his first year at the program's helm.

"I'm gonna pick up full court every time," Payne said. "That's the main thing I work on is defense now, because, without defense, you ain't gonna be able to play in the offense."
Payne identified his defense, shooting and IQ as his biggest strengths. On the other hand, he's working on ball screens and making the right reads.

This summer, Payne will be playing for his AAU squad LivOn-Fleur De Lis and hopes to claim a Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) Peach Jam title in July. He also plans on spending time working out with his high school coach in Houston.

Payne's goal for his senior season is to be a McDonald's All-American.

Then he'll turn his attention to BC—and the ACC.

"It's the highest level of college basketball," he said. "I come in with the mentality to win."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News