ADVERTISEMENT

Bowling Green RB

CMassFan

All State
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2003
https://www.telegram.com/news/20191...es-is-back-running-with-ball-at-bowling-green

By Jennifer Toland
Telegram & Gazette Staff

Adaptability has been one of Davon Jones’ best attributes during his college football career.

Boston College recruited the former St. John’s High star safety and wide receiver as a defensive back, but moved him to running back his redshirt freshman season, then to linebacker the next year. Last season, Jones did a little bit of both as a short-yardage running back and backup linebacker.

Jones earned his degree in education and human development from Boston College in May, and with one year of eligibility left, decided to use it at Bowling Green, where he has returned to being a full-time running back and reunited with coach Scot Loeffler, the former BC offensive coordinator.

With 43 carries for 205 yards (4.8 average), Jones is the Falcons’ leading rusher.

“Everything’s good,” Jones said during a phone interview Wednesday morning. “Coming here was pretty cool and getting to play with Coach Loeffler again. I’m enjoying my time here.”

In his Bowling Green debut against Morgan State, Jones rushed 16 times for 76 yards and a touchdown and caught three passes for 27 yards and a TD.

“I think I fit in pretty well with the offense,” said Jones, who is working toward his master’s degree. “I played in Coach Loeffler’s scheme before, so it wasn’t really new to me. That was important to me, not having to start over and learn a new playbook.”

As a redshirt freshman at BC, Jones ranked second on the team with 361 rushing yards on 91 carries. He finished with 23 tackles in 2017. Last year, he rushed for three touchdowns and totaled 15 tackles in 10 games.

“At BC, I learned how to really work hard in the classroom and on the football field and truly be a student of the game,” Jones said. “I met some tremendous coaches at BC, who I still speak to on a regular basis, and a number of lifelong friends. At BC, I learned about building relationships, being honest and direct about things, and being accountable. That was definitely the biggest thing.”

Jones has kept in touch with his former Eagles teammates and has excitedly watched fellow Central Mass. stars Chris Lindstrom and Isaac Yiadom go on to the NFL.

“It’s cool being able to be part of that and see it happen,” Jones said.

Jones, who scored 14 touchdowns his last two years at St. John’s, earned T&G Hometeam Super Team honors in football and basketball. He was the Pioneers’ point guard. Jones is also in regular contact with St. John’s football coach John Andreoli and basketball coach Bob Foley, and keeps track of his old team’s scores through the T&G Twitter account.

Jones joined his new teammates at Bowling Green for their summer workouts. Being much farther from his family in Worcester than he was in Chestnut Hill was an adjustment at first, but he’s good now. His mom, Amie Cox, surprised him by flying to Ohio for the Falcons’ Sept. 14 game against Louisiana Tech.

“It was cool to see her in the stands,” Jones said. “It’s extremely different being far from home. I used to be less than an hour from home and see my family all the time. It’s been a big change, but by now, it feels like home here, and I’m happy.”

Bowling Green (1-3) plays at Notre Dame at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Boston College hosted the Fighting Irish in 2017, but this will be the first trip to Notre Dame Stadium for Jones.

“The venue is going to be amazing, and the atmosphere is going to be crazy,” Jones said. “I think it’s a great opportunity for us to go play football, make plays and just play as hard as we can. We’re growing as a team, and every day we’re learning to play complementary football with the offense, defense and special teams. We’re growing together.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News