ADVERTISEMENT

Birdballs Hosts FSU Weekend Series

bscrich

All State
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
The Birds continue their quest to slay the core of the ACC Jabberwock today at 1, versus the 14th ranked Seminoles.

FSU has rebounded from a disastrous year that saw the wheels fall off, and missed the ACC tournament. Link Jarrett's team looks a lot different this year, hitting the portal hard from some key contributors, and getting the needed growth of their uber talented frosh class. They started the year 17-0, vs some of competition, before getting swept by Clemson- a series in which they had at least 4 run lead in all 3 games, including an 8-1 9th inning lead in the Sat game, and 11-2 6th inning lead in the Sunday game.

Gone is their entire weekend rotation from last year, all 3 drafted, plus another P who had TJ that started the yr as their Fri Night guy. The biggest addition this year has been Cam Leiter, nephews of Al and Mark, cousins to Mark Jr and Jack, and looking like the next in line to be an MLB Leiter. He xferred from UCF after a great Freshman year and been a big reason fro the Noles good start. He'll sit mid 90s with a hammer of a CB and good slider too. He can be wild at times, so the Birds will need to be patient, but it's a bad matchup for the lineup IMO. Jamie Arnold was a big-name last year as a FR, and I wasn't all that impressed with him when he faced the Birds last year, but he had a strong summer on the Cape, and has really shoved this year, with 60! Ks in 40 IP. He's a low 90s, low slot arm that will give Leary fits, and mixes in a really good sweeper. He's only walked 9, and will be another challenge, I think he'll start tomorrow's game. Cam Whittaker got some time as a midweek SP last year and towards the end of the season, and he'll start Sunday. Low 90s, pitch to contract type, with a v good change up, who doesn't walk much either, only 8 in 34IP.

Despite the Clemson whoas, their pen is pretty deep, and has shown some good results. NH Native Brennan Oxford gives them a power arm from the left side, and Andrew Armstrong is another low slot lefty, that I did not think highly of after last year's series, that the RHHs might be able to get to. Joe Charles is a 6th yr UNC xfer, a RHP with upper 90s fastball has seemingly strung together some success this year, and two way threat Ben Barrett is another one of their key righties out of the pen. Noah Short is a side armed RHP, and Fr LHP Hudson Rowan has 21 Ks in 10 IP(but 12 BBs and 4 HBP), so the quality of arms and quantity of depth is there, but if the lineup can get to the pen early enough, they should have their chances.

Their lineup is lead by two AA candidates, Jr LHH James Tibbs, who had a big series last year, is off to a torrid start. He's a huge power threat, as is So. RHH 3B Cam Smith, Smith is a canidate to go very high in the draft, after having quiet frosh year, but huge Cape summer and strong start to this season. He's a big rangy 6'5 hitter that's really cut down his Ks. RHH 1B Daniel Cantu is a USF xfer who we saw 2 years ago, and I thnk hit 2 HRs in a game vs them in a midweek. Jr RHH OF James Ferrer had one of the worst defensive series vs the Birds last year, but is off to a great start at the plate with 9 hrs. Their middle IF are two more xfers, SS Alex Lodise has sneaky pop, while SH 2B Drew Farout, also from UCF, was a Fr AA last year.

The biggest difference I think in FSU this year is their defense. It was horrific last year, and it def cost them a lot, but this year they've tightened that up and only have 20 errors in 28 games, but maybe a small x factor this weekend is the turf, their first game on it all season, and with the weather, that could be a weird equalizer of sorts.

The Birds got themselves right back into the ACC with their sweep last weekend, a series win gets them in the NCAA convo, even 1 win will help. I like the early start time today at 1, too!

Let's have a weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News