ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Belichick Honors Welles Crowther

Freshford

All State
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2001
As a Pats fan, I really like Pats beat writer, Mike Reiss. Every Sunday, he has a piece on ESPN Boston with 10 quick hits and thoughts around the Pats and the NFL. Yesterday, one of his quick hits was about Bill Belichick accepting the Spirit of Tewaaraton award last month for his contributions to lacrosse. As Reiss points out, Belichick spoke of how humbled and overwhelmed he was, in part because the late Welles Crowther was a prior winner. Belichick pulled a red bandanna from his back pocket and held it up as he spoke.

This is from Reiss:

5. BB and the red bandanna: In accepting the Spirit of Tewaaraton award last month for his contributions to lacrosse, Belichick spoke of how humbled and overwhelmed he was, in part because the late Welles Crowther was a prior winner. Belichick pulled a red bandanna from his back pocket and held it up as he spoke.

"It hit me hard. It hit me really hard. I was stunned, really," Alison Crowther, Welles' mother, said from her home in Nyack, N.Y. "He's a coach of such success and prominence, and such focus on his team. So I was completely blown away. I sat there in tears. I couldn't believe my ears that he would even know Welles' story."

Crowther, aka "The Man in the Red Bandanna", saved as many as 18 lives during the Sept. 11 attacks in New York City, where he worked as an equities trader and volunteer firefighter. Crowther graduated from Boston College, where he played lacrosse, in 1999.

In helping save others, Crowther lost his life.

Alison shares her son's story when speaking with schools and corporations across the country, saying: "They embrace it and are inspired by it. That is the treasure I hold on to. Rather than the loss of Welles, just how alive he is in the spirit of so many people."

So when Belichick mentioned him during his own acceptance speech, Alison was shocked. She had no prior connection to Belichick.

"I just see him as a really tough guy. Never smiles. And to see him speak the way he did about Welles, he had such heart in what he said. It was beautiful," she said.

Here is the link: https://www.espn.com/blog/new-engla...ave-massive-impact-in-a-good-way-on-mac-jones

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News