Kevin84

All Region
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2001
Mass Rivals Guard A.J. Reeves Discusses UConn Offer, Interest
William S. Paxton | Senior Editor
atsstet66gjefqfqhdql

Photo Credit: Rivals Basketball Club
A.J. Reeves was just along for the ride the last time he visited the UConn campus. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard and his Mass Rivals teammates tagged along with prized recruit Wenyan Gabriel last June to Storrs, Conn. to get a sneak peak at the Huskies’ facilities.

While Gabriel, who is ticketed for Kentucky, was being given the royal treatment from head coach Kevin Ollie and his staff, Reeves sat and watched the Huskies workout in the gym.

“It was really cool,” he said. “I got to see how hard they play and how much time they put into their game.”

When Reeves, who is currently the 32nd-ranked prospect in the Class of 2018, returns to Storrs this month on an unofficial visit he will be one of the players receiving the royal treatment.

On Monday when Reeves took part in a three-way call with Ollie, his staff and Mass Rivals coach Vin Pastore he received an offer from the Huskies to come play there.

Reeves already had offers from Fairfield, Boston College and Providence among others, but as he matures into his large frame the interest has been picking up. In addition to UConn, he also received an offer from Louisville this week.

“Yeah, it’s pretty nice,” said Reeves, who is from Chestnut Hills, Mass. and will be a junior at Brimmer and May next season. “If I go to UConn that way my family can come see me play.”

Reeves is another in a growing list of Mass Rivals players to receive offers from the Huskies in recent years. Guard Jalen Adams is coming off a solid freshman campaign at UConn is looking to add to more Mass Rivals offspring next season in 2017 prospects guard Makai Ashton-Langford and 6-foot-10 power forward Makhtar Gueye.

Even though he was on the fringe of UConn’s radar last summer, Reeves has moved up a level after a strong sophomore campaign.

“He’s a guy we always projected on the major level,” Pastore said. “He’s athletic and has a sweet stroke. … He’s just gotten better.”

Reeves has yet to get involved in the recruiting process with two more years to go, but UConn is right at the top of his list.

“I have a really good feel for UConn,” he said. “They’ve built a winning program and it’s always good to go to a program that has a history of winning.”

Former UConn assistant Karl Hobbs stopped in to watch Reeves play during the season and he’s had several conversations with Ollie.

“I’ve talked to him a couple times and he’s real chill,” Reeves said. “He’s real down to earth and looks out for his players. That’s always important.”

While the recruiting process unfolds, his main goal is to keep getting better through hard work and a strong summer season with Mass Rivals. Reeves will also have the chance to showcase his game at the Adidas Nations on May 20-22 in Miami, Fla.

“I’ve got to work on my defense,” he said. “I’ve come a long way (but there’s room for improvement).”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News