ADVERTISEMENT

Why we make the NCAAs

Bantameagle

All State
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2001
I am going to step out here a little but barring injuries to the starting five, I think this team will make the NCAAs. Basically, they are potentially that rare group of five individuals that appears to exceed expectations against good competition. We will also need contributions from the bench at times, but these five will need to perform if we are to make the NCAAs.

1) It starts with Bowman. Based on his high school tapes, last year's big games and the Duke game this year, he elevates his game against the best competition. His speed, moxie and athleticism enables him to compete against the very best. Additionally, the summer program he and Robinson were involved in appears to have given him additional confidence to compete against anyone. We were able to recruit him because of his originally being recruited for football and his love of the ACC being from North Carolina.

2) Robinson has historically sometimes pressed too much in the big games. This year, he is letting the game come to him. At 6-6 with good quickness, he is able to get his shot against most defenders. As long as he continues to play within himself, he is the perfect foil for Bowman. Again, like Bowman, he probably benefited from the summer program playing with pros in California. We were able to recruit him because he was a late bloomer and his love of the ACC.

3) Mitchell appears to give the team a lot of what Hawkins would have. He is an excellent rebounder and defender and will enable us to compete better against ACC teams with good front courts. At 6-8, he does not have exceptional height but he is quick and technically strong. Many good teams have talented 4s and this is where Mitchell will be critical to the team's success. We were able to recruit him because he was a tweener at 6-8 and he played at a lesser club team in high school.

4) Chatman appears to have improved as much as anyone this year. He is the critical third offensive option. For whatever reason, he is now also driving the hoop and taking mid range jumpers. Always an excellent 3 point shooter, this makes him much harder to guard. Through out the season, he should prove invaluable to Bowman and Robinson for pitch backs on their drives to the hoop and for Popovic, Luca and Reyes on pass outs when they are double teamed. We were lucky to get Chatman. I think he was attracted to our business school and the religious component to the school as much as anything. Chatman is married and is a Mormon so BC being a faith based school probably had an impact.

5) Popovic is a very interesting player. He is not intimidated by athletic and more talented players. He actually raises his game to compete. While awkward looking, he still gets his shots and rebounds despite looking clumsy. In a another post, I described this as being a good counter puncher. It is actually more than that. I think he has found a way to compete against the better athletes. Awkward and clumsy looking player who didn't stand out in high school. He has worked hard to get to where he is.

We would have been better with Hawkins. He gave us that critical 6th scorer as well as being a great defender and rebounder. At the same time, his injury has forced the other five to pick up their games and take greater responsibility for the team's success. Similar to the Celtics, the loss of a player sometimes forces others to pick up their games to compensate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News