ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame thoughts:

duda

All Region
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
1. So very very happy for the kids. They are 18, 19,20 year old kids and they put a ton of time and effort into this and put their bodies on the line play after play and getting no results week after week and then having to read everything we, and others say about them has to be demoralizing. They played their asses off today, never quit, were playing 11 v 12 at times and kept their heads and composure against a veteran ranked team in their home and bagged a win to remember. Really well done.

2. Ditto for Hafley. He needed that.

3. Morehead, he of very limited experience, found himself down 14-0 on the road against a very good and deep defense, with absolutely not even a hint of a running game, and a leaky at best offensive line, drove the team 70 yards with under 3 minutes to go and threw a great pass for the winner. Stones. Kid has stones. If nothing else he seems to provide a beacon of hope for next year.

4. The kid has moxie. He has a big arm, confidence, and the players seem to feed off of him. He needs another 300-400 snaps, minimum and repetition until he hopefully begins to understand timing and angles in the pocket. Understanding when to tuck it and run and when(and where) to end the play with a throw away are going to be key to his development. He was under duress all day. He threw 2 picks, and truthfully his sideline pass to Tomlin was a ball that needs to hit the popcorn vendor in row 26. Could use a little more change up and less fastball on some of his dump offs, but did show some really encouraging things on crossing patterns to Tackas. Another thing that probably falls under the coaching category but one of my main concerns with Jurk coming into the season was whether he learned to hit the necessary passes to convert the 3rd and 4/5’s. Tight end quick hitters, wr curls, etc. Jurk has a habit of throwing long deep low percentage go route passes on 3rd and short. Morehead is doing the same.

5. Tonight is not the night for it, because the kid played great and made probably the play of the game with his sideline contested catch, but without looking at it, why do I have a feeling I am going to see something like Tomlin playing 45 snaps and Griffin 8.

6. That was a spectacular catch by Griffin in the end zone.

7. Nobody has been able to run the ball on NCST all year but a little creativity may have at least been worth a try. There was no running up the middle yet BC kept trying. Maybe a few outside runs? Probably wouldn’t have mattered , NC St D line is good and their linebackers are exceptional.

8. Doeren TOB’ed it, with the rum on 3rd and 7, but truthfully I think it was the right call. Your QB was making some really bad decisions, and the odds of BC going 70 yards in under 3 minutes was probably no more than 10%

9. Solid game from Longman. His last punt was a very important play in the outcome of this game.

10. Zay was sensational in the first half. What a player. I couldn’t see enough but NCST played him 1v1 in the first half, my guess is that his lack of targets in the second half was a result of different coverage.

11. The refs really had a tough game with so much going against BC, however if I was a neutral observer I would have said no call on the Griffin pass interference. Game on the line, and that very easily could have been a no call.

12. As could have been the call on Batson. He deserved to get penalized for his lack of situational awareness, it was 3rd and 22 and the qb was 15 yards from the 1st down marker. However as someone who has never played football but posts like an expert, my guess is that fine line of a split second decision of pulling off a tackle at full speed is a lot more difficult live than it shows on tv.

13. I actually thought the OL played better as the game wore on. They couldn’t run block at all but they found multiple snaps down the stretch where they gave Morehead 3 plus seconds with a clean pocket.

14. This was of course aided by the fact that the NCST defense was on the field the entire second half. BC controlled the clock in the 2nd half.

15. Injuries and strength and conditioning have been recurring issues for BC all year, but credit to all involved for grinding to the end. NCST was the home team and this was their climate and they were being dragged off the field one by one in the 4th quarter.

16. From the 2nd series on in today, the DL was the best unit on the field. They have been much maligned but they were dominant down the stretch. Completely shut the home side down. Where has that been all year? There are a few future pieces that really showed today.

17. This is going to be an awkward week with the handling of Jurk in the media, and I am not sure there is an easy answer. This is ND week and certainly a very personal one for Jurk. Haf, has always and should protect Jurk. However this is now Morehead’s team. Absent an injury to Morehead, if Jurk sees another meaningful minute this year then Haf deserves heavy criticism. Morehead needs to be named the starter. Had cannot come out and say what he did last week in that it’s Jurk’s team if he is healthy. The only way I see that serves all purposes is to announce that Jurk is out for the year, on Monday. Put an end to it

18. Congratulations to all maroon and golders!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News