ADVERTISEMENT

Key QB recruit visited on Monday, and a note on QB recruiting

JRowland

All Region
Staff
May 29, 2001
Before we get to the recruits who visited over the weekend, a quick (and significant) note on a player who visited Monday.

Over the weekend Patrick Brown traveled all the way across the country to check out (and commit to) Boston College. On Monday, fellow Californian Jack Sears, a 2017 quarterback, also made the trip to BC. I'm not 100-percent sure what all of his other plans are as far as trips elsewhere while he's in the Northeast or on the east coast, but it's obviously a very good sign that he took the initiative in visiting, considering where he's from. BC will offer 40 California kids with the hope that 10 visit and one or two commit, so getting him on campus puts him firmly in the category of "legit prospect" they can now make more of a priority.

"He absolutely liked it," one source close to the BC program told me following Sears' visit. "Seemed like he liked it a lot."

I don't think we will get too much that's really telling when we catch up with Sears, besides the expected favorable trip review, but I'm still trying to reach him.

Apparently Sears made the trip to BC with his father and I'm told that his dad seemed to enjoy himself as well. He was the only visitor on Monday that I'm aware of, so it's very likely he got all the personal attention the staff would want to give to a key quarterback recruit taking that kind of initiative in traveling across the country.

I also heard that Sears visited with one of his friends and his friend's mom, although I'm not sure who that was (might be a sign that he's not a top-tier target, yet at least, though I'm not sure).

"At the end of the day hopefully it was a lasting impression," the source told me.

If you want something more meaty to sink your teeth into then there's this: I believe these are among (if not the) top quarterback targets for Boston College (in no particular order):

- Jack Sears
- Mac Jones
- Tommy Devito
- E.J. Perry
- Tate Haynes
- Kyle McCloskey

I may well be missing one or two but there's this -- shortly after Tate Haynes was offered (he's the dual-threat/ATH from Cathedral Catholic, and his teammate Patrick Brown just committed, remember), Haynes told me that Scot Loeffler had "said he had five guys he really liked." Haynes was one of those five, but apparently Loeffler was very candid in telling Haynes that he was fifth out of five on the wish list, at least until he camps and proves otherwise.

Previously Mac Jones (Kentucky commit) was saying he would visit every school that has offered, and he specifically told me once that he "owed" Scot Loeffler a visit. He just visited Arizona State and Cal but is still pretty solid to UK. Asked a source whether he will visit Boston College and was told they were unaware of plans as of right now; he's been very busy with travel, and is at UK tomorrow again. I think they're pursuing him with tempered expectations, although Loeffler likes him a lot and he just won his second Rivals QB Challenge MVP award at a recent camp in Atlanta.

I haven't mentioned E.J. Perry much in the past but I'm told the Andover quarterback has risen significantly up the Eagles' board. Perry has never camped with Boston College. Not sure if he will this year but I'd bet he will. BC's staff likes his game but also that he has a good pedigree, with his uncle being a position coach with the Houston Texans and his family having a strong football background. Perry's Hudl page is here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News