ADVERTISEMENT

Chesney

BodySuit Man

All Region
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
Charlotte
So what do you guys think of him as a candidate?

He called a good game and got his team up to play. Especially coming out of the lightning break they steamrolled us and likely would've won the game if not for the fumble. He's 46 which is at the higher end of the age range I'd prefer, but within it. And he's obviously done a great job building HC as a program.

My concern is that he has no experience whatsoever coaching or even playing at a FBS let alone P5 level...Holy Cross is actually the only D1 school he's coached at. Most of his resume is in D2/3. I didn't go through every assistant on his staff but his coordinators also have limited high level experience; DC Scott James was a grad assistant at BC in 03-04 (under Spaz....yay) and has no other FBS experience, OC Dean Kennedy spent a year as an on-field assistant QB coach at Florida and was a quality control assistant there and a grad assistant at Mississippi State.

I'd bring Chesney in for an interview for sure assuming his team has another good season, but I question whether he has the network to build a staff that can compete in the ACC. You can get around his own lack of high level experience if he has the connections to build a staff who has that experience, but I see no evidence that he does. I think he deserves an interview but gun to head and obviously knowing no more than their resumes, I think I'd rather have a young successful P5 assistant like Liam Coen or Sheronne Moore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News