ADVERTISEMENT

Birdball 2022

bscrich

All State
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Its opening week for your favorite 9. Coming off an obviously disappointing year last year, this one comes with different expectations, but its not for lack of talent. This year's theme for me will be one of building.

The Birds start their season off in Tennessee versus Ohio Valley member, Austin Peay . The Governors are predicted to be a middle of the pack conference team, but are returning most of their offensive and pitching experience. Their best player is their catcher, Jack Alexander, a Notre Dame transfer. They also have a pair of former South Carolina players in their middle infield, and their outfield more transfers, one of them Skylar Luna coming in from Tennessee, so the talent gap is not as severe as an ACC vs Ohio Valley series typically boasts. On the mound, their Friday starter Drew McIllwain is a pre-season all conference performer. He started off his career mainly as a RP, before emerging as their top SP in the middle of last season. He's not akin to some of the big starters they'll see in the ACC, a sub 6' righty with two main pitches. He can be HR prone too, so I think the Birds lefties can have some success with him. They do return 5 of their top innings pitchers from last year's team, but I do not know much about their staff otherwise, but I would say they are a better offensive team than pitching.

As far as the birds, a lot of star power and 3 5 yrs players depart, so what will this team look like? Well I think first, we will see a team that has some serious power. All ACC 3B Luke Gold is moving to 2B, and despite missing some time last year, he lead them in HRs and RBIs. He will slot in the 3 hole. Protecting him in the line up will likely be two-way sophomore Joe Vetrano. Vetrano started the year as their Sunday starter, and hitting for himself during his starts, and while he showed some doubles power, ultimately they needed him to focus more on being an effective multi inning RP last year. Knowing his power potential, he decline an opp to pitch for Harwich this summer on the Cape to play 1B full time in the newly formed Appalachian League, which was comprised of the former short season low A teams. This league was littered with D1 players, and Vetrano turned in an impressive summer with the wood bat, hitting multiple 400+ bombs, including a 425ft Grand Slam in the all-star game. HIs power is as legit as their is in the conference, so I expect a big leap from him.

Another player that excelled this summer in the appy league is sophomore Cam Leary. He can play all 3 OF positions, and looked like he really bulked up for this season. Noticeably stronger, he's going to provide more thump, likely hitting in front of Gold in the 2 hole. He flashed a bit last year, but after having shoulder surgery as a HS senior, you could tell he hit a bit of a wall, but that's not uncommon for any freshman, nevermind one that hadn't played in 2 years.

Travis Honeyman, another true sophomore, was yet another summer standout. Hitting .430 in the NECBL, smashing the league record, and parlayed that summer into a great fall. He really had huge scrimmages versus St John's and Umass Lowell. I expect him to leadoff, and he's another player with some serious power, but also plenty of speed.

The rest of the lineup will be rounded out by ultra steady C Peter Burns. He hit sub .200 last year, but give a much better AB than that would indicate, plus his real value is behind the plate, as he's one of the best defensive Cs in the country. His backup Parker Landwher is a player to watch too, because I think he can be their surprise player at the plate this year. Junior Vince Cimini seems to have become a bit of a leader, he'll take over at SS this year for Brian Dempsey. Cimini in his first full time starting duty had some big moments early in the season, and finished with a .216 average, but a .385 OBP. He'll give you a good AB, and is a nice balanced approach to compliment some of their power, and his defense will be a plus, he didn't make an error last year playing 4 positions. Dan Baruch and Ramon Jimenez are both veteran guys with legit power, neither have blossomed into everyday players, but they'll provide a nice veteran presence for a young lineup. Gambino has always like Lucas Stalman, and I think he'll get some ABs early in the season and play some 3B/DH.

Barry Walsh will likely compete for ABs in the OF too, he was a NECBL all-star as well this summer, and is probably the fastest player on the team. For newcomers, Patrick Roche, who didn't play last yr due to injury had a nice summer, earning all-star honors in the Future's League. Another player with power potential, I saw him hit a 400 ft+ HR with a wood bat this summer in person. He can also run. Sam McNulty is prob their best freshman position player, and will compete w Stalman and Roche at 3B. McNulty may be a year away, but they've already been impressed with his defense, and once he adjusts to some of the ACC arms he'll see, is going to have a heck of a career. Rafe Chaumette is another player that will play in the OF, likely a lot, and he's a gran xfer from DIII Texas powerhouse, Trinity College, where he was a 4x all conference player. He has a history of hitting with the wood bat during summer league, where he mostly played in the NECBL, and even had got a cup of coffee in the Cape League 2 years ago. I am nott oo concerned with the d3 jump here, but he's one of those hitters that will find ways to get on base, he's got really good speed, and I could see him being a pain in the butt for teams hitting out of the 9 hole. The team has loved what he's brought this fall and winter.

On the mound, Mason Pelio is returning, and there are a lot of people that think Kevin Vance's work with him will have him right back on course. Given this kids work ethic, and natural stuff, I am not betting against him this year. He's got a determination about him, and he's pissed. I'd expect the Saturday starter to be true freshman Sean Hard. All I will say about him is this, if he stays healthy, he will leave here as the best pitcher in school history. I also think he'll be a lock to pitch for the Collegiate National team, maybe not this summer, but def as a Soph He's already committed to pitch on the Cape, and has every area scouts' eye. You'll see mid 90s from Hard, and his curveball and changeup are both plus. Now I think early on, he'll be ok, the adjustment for any freshman, in any conference to college baseball is a big one, but there is going to be a start, prob early April where he is lights out and everything clicks into place and he starts shoving. The Sunday starter has a few options, Joe Mancini being the likeliest. Joe has really flashed this fall under Vance's work, and is the type of veteran I think will be ready to give them quality. In terms of potential, John West starting touching 94 reg in the fall, and is someone I think can really take off. I mentioned last year that those pitchers that are 6'7 an above can take a while to put things together, but once they do, the ceiling is so high, and West is no exception. Its really been the first time he's been able to focus solely on pitching , and the results are encouraging, when his mechanics are good, and he's throwing strikes, he's going to be hard to hit. Liam Dvorak is a Holy Cross xfer, where he was the Patriot league pitcher of the year in '19, and had TJ in '20, so he's someone to take on that multi inning, veteran role that Steigler was so effective in last year. He'll be a useful midweek SP too.

Their pen will be much improved based on talent and experience. Max Gieg had an all-star summer on the Cape, and has seemingly harnessed his explosives' FB more this fall. They added two grad xfers, Henry Leake from Babson, who had a 22:1 K to BB ratio in the NECBL this summer, and Brendan Coffey from Sacred Hart, who had a sub 1 era last yr, throws bowling balls up to the plate, that veteran presence will help. Joey Ryan, another soph with an enticing fall, up to 93 will help. Charlie Coon was arguably their best RP last year will give them a key lefty, along with Vetrano. I've always thought Ryan Smith could really pitch, and hasn't had a ton of opp, but this could be the year to use him for key lefty outs in the middle of the game, and that's really all they need. They do not have many lefties on their staff. Freshman Matt Nunan, who had a great summer in the Future's league, could compete for a lefty RP role, he was impressive in the Future's league too, he had one 1 hit 5 IP start and another 4 no hit IP with 9 Ks. John Campbell, who had finally focused on pitching himself had an eye popping fall and scrimmage results thanks to his elite spin rate on his CB might be ready to fulfill some of his promise that made him their "highest rated" recruit in the Sal and Cody class.

Other young depth options are Aiden Crowley had an all-star summer in the Future's league, and is someone I am intrigued to see pitch. fellow soph Brad Lombardi is a big bodied RHP that will also be in the mix.

Evan Moore was prob their best recruit two cycles ago, and would have pushed for a rotation spot last yr before missing the year for testicular cancer treatment. I am not sure where he is at physically, but he is on the roster, and will be a great moment to see on the mound again. Travis Lane was their best RP as a freshmen, but has missed the last two years with injury, so I will equally excited to see him on the mound again, all indications are he is healthy. Other freshman Luke Delongchamp, Julian Tongini, had good summers as well in the Futures Leagues, weeks after graduating HS, and has some big promise but are likely a year away. Delongchamp was already 92-94 this fall.

My best guess on game 1 lineup:
Honeyman CF
Leary LF
Gold 2B
Vetrano 1B
Cimini SS
Walsh RF
Burns C
Stalman 3B
Chaumette DH

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT