bscrich

All State
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
No surprise w the rotation:
Fri: Pelio
Sat: Sheehan
Sun: Vetrano

Morrissette might be back and would be a big boost if he is.

Clemson is 3-6 in the ACC so far, but coming off their first series win at home vs a quality Virginia Tech team (although they, themselves have lost 2 straight ACC series) . Clemson is a team full of talent and athleticism as you'd expect, they have about 4-5 two-way players, but are a bit of a younger team. Starting on offense, they have power, hulking 6'6 lefty Caden Grice is basically a Seth Beer clone that has top-of-the-scale power, and a dangerous hitter. Their SS James Parker is their best player, he has 5 HRs already, and just hit a 3 run HR last Sunday in the bot 8th to give them a 4-2 win and series win over Va Tech. In that game, they had 4 hits, which is sort of how their offense goes, he had a huge HR in last yr's series as well.. They are very strike-out prone and have only 1 guy (Parker) hitting over .300. They are a patient team as well though, so in some ways, this lineup is a 3 true outcome lineup (walk, K, HR). Other notable players are C/DH Jonathan French 4 hrs, Dylan Brewer 15 BBs and 4 steals on the season. Keir Meredith is their leadoff guy and a spark plug for them, very similar to Zalarte from UNC. Overall they only have 12 steals as a team, but the speed is there. The guy for me that I like, is CF Bryce Tiodosio, when you watch their games or series highlights, his name is constant, on offense, the bases, or defense. He has some power, and this year has become a much better hitter than in the past. I think this is a lineup Pelio can have some success with, as he looks to get back on track, and really after the wall scraper HR last week, settled in nicely.

On the mound, there is also some youth. They really don't have a true Friday night starter, and not really a Saturday one either. They have plenty of good arms, and their bullpen is very solid, they don't lose games late that they are winning, so it will be key to get some early runs will be key. They have Jackson Lindley listed as the Fri starter, I'd imagine he will be an opener of sorts, and we will either see Davis Sharpe or Mack Anglin follow him. Both have good stuff, Sharpe has 27K in 19 IP, but also 12 walks. W/ how patient the lineup is, I do like their odds vs him. As far as Anglin, a rFrosh but has the makings of a 1st round pick. He really struggled in 7ip last, but this yr has 23/5 K/bb ratio in 14.2 innings, and the stuff is as nasty as the numbers suggest. He'll be a challenge if they get down early.

Sat starter is listed as lhp Keyshawn Askew, who started 9 games as a frosh, and started his first game last Sunday, and had 7 ks in 4 ip, giving up only 3 hits and 0 runs. Tall and thin, with that elastically looking arm action, and a good slider. He's only pitched in 2 games, so my guess is he's working back from injury, so again, I don't expect much length here. Sunday is listed as TBD, which is likely a bullpen game. lefty Mat Clark is their pseudo closer, he already has 19 ip on the year in 5 games, so they use him similar to how the Birds use Walsh. Ty Olenchuk and Carter Raffield have started a combined 9 games this year, but their effectiveness has varied. Olenchuck has given up 7 hrs in 17ip, while Raffield has 16 Ks in 10 Ip, but also 8 BBs, we will likely see both at some point this weekend, Geoffry Gilbert has 10 games pitched on the year already, he's strictly a reliever, but an effective one. He also pitched in their mid-week game, but I'd expect to see him at least twice if the games are close.

The key to this series will be jumping ahead on their inexperienced SP, and getting length from Pelio and Sheehan, so we can see save Steigler for Sunday's bulk after Vetrano. Need a series win here, and I think they get it done this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News