ADVERTISEMENT

Bedtime thoughts:

duda

All Region
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
1. While waiting for my customary Saturday night call from some underclassmen at BC calling to see if I am willing to increase my donation to BC. I am glad she didn’t call because I was going to unload on her and I would have felt badly about it tomorrow.

2. I am not sure if BC has ever mailed in a ND game. It’s possible you can say they were unprepared in Coughlins first go at the Irish and that’s acceptable. BC in a season of disrespect, today blowtorched the dwindling alumni base who still cares about the program. As a coach you can screw up everything but earn years of goodwill by taking it to ND. Today was the opposite. Just a mindblowing noshow from the program at every level.

3. Watching this game was a rollercoaster ride in blameshifting. First it was the D not being ready on a 50 yard run up the middle on the first play that everybody saw coming. Then it was the qb who looked overwhelmed. But was it the OL who got their faces pushed in all day thereby relieving the QB of fault, or was it the OC who can’t find a style that might fit this squad and everything has looked discombobulated all year. Or was it the DL who got knocked off the ball with ease from the first play to the last. Our was it the linebackers who looked like they were doing their best to get game tape out there for the DIII transfer portal, or was it the DC who has failed miserably all year, and who’s defense has regressed significantly. No it’s probably just Haf. Or Leahy..or..,,

4. What a difference a week makes on the future of our QB position. I don’t think the portal is out of the question now. I don’t think they will, but that doesn’t mean they shoukdnt.

5. One of the problems with how poorly BC is coached is it prevents me from making accurate judgements about opposing staffs. I was impressed with ND on all levels. They block and tackle flawlessly. Their offense gets receivers open. Their oline keeps a clean pocket with structure all day.

6. Game was well over but BC has a 3rd and 9 and got called for a delay of game and then came to the line of scrimmage and let the play clock go to 1 before calling a panic timeout. Then came out of the timeout and got the QB killed bevause Two OL blocked one guy and two guys ran free. Can we at least try to communicate with the players as to the play call and what should be done. Truly embarrassing sequence.

7. The coaching certainly stinks but the OL has to take a share of this. They are getting bullied all over the field week after week. When is someone going to take a stand. If all these OL come back at the same weight next year bevause the strength and conditioning team and coach want lighter more nimble lineman then this is going to happen all over again.

8. Haf is not going anywhere unless he chooses to leave and his options for future employment should be dwindling but the long standing effect of his tenure is the culture of acceptable losing that seems to be taking place. There was no resistance at any level today. The players just seemed to take it like it was expected and acceptable. There is zero accountability with this program right now and that is terrifying, There is no pressure on the players to win. No threat to lose their spot. They get nuked on national tv and the coach goes in the locker room and tells them how proud he is of all of them for showing up through a mid week illness. It is so hard to break the mental cycle of losing. Winning is a process. Extra time in the weight room, extra time watching film, extra time and focus in position meaning having the game plan committed to memory. Extra time at practice doing the boring fundamentals because they might make a difference on one important play in the game. This process takes time, and we are a few years from having to start it all over when the new coach comes in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News