All State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2002
My Bowl predictions. 11/25/2023, 11:50 pm:

Assumptions:
  • Georgia beats Alabama for SEC Championship
  • Michigan beats Iowa for Big Ten Championship
  • Washington beats Oregon for Pac-12 Championship
  • Ohio State will be highest ranked Big Ten or SEC team outside top 4 in final CFP rankings
If Florida State beats Louisville for ACC Championship:
  • CFP Semifinal Allstate Sugar Bowl (New Orleans): Florida State vs. Georgia
  • Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami Gardens): Louisville vs. Ohio State
If Louisville beat Florida State for ACC Championship:
  • Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami Gardens): Louisville vs. Ohio State
  • Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (Atlanta) Florida State vs. highest ranked group of 5 champion
Other bowls:
  • ReliaQuest Bowl (Tampa): Notre Dame
  • Pop-Tarts Bowl (Orlando): NC State
  • TaxSlayer Gator Bowl (Jacksonville): North Carolina
  • DirecTV Holiday Bowl (San Diego): Clemson
  • Duke’s Mayo Bowl (Charlotte): Duke
  • Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl (New York): Georgia Tech
  • Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl (El Paso): Miami
  • Military Bowl (Annapolis): Virginia Tech
  • Wasabi Fenway Bowl (Boston): Boston College
  • TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham) or Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa): Syracuse

Oh there’s no doubt we will be at the baseball bowl
Yeah, it seems like this a good year to do it. We don't deserve a better bowl. The only other thing I could see is ESPN shuffles us around to the First Responder Bowl in Dallas again if Fenway wants Syracuse over us. But I would think Fenway will choose us.

Reactions: BodySuit Man
BC is going to get embarrassed in the Fenway Bowl by an AAC team. Rather play Bowling Green somewhere and keep the game close.

BC is going to get embarrassed in the Fenway Bowl by an AAC team. Rather play Bowling Green somewhere and keep the game close.
At this point, I want to play whatever team blows us to smithereeens. No reason to create false hope/justification by being competitive in a toilet bowl. The entire football operation needs to be nuked.

Reactions: TheGuru

For a final kick in the junk it will be SMU who we're going to play almost every year going forward (similar to playing UNC in the bowl the year before we joined the ACC) so we won't even get a unique opponent

As of now, my guess on opponent would be UTSA. If not them, then my second guess would be USF.

We don’t want UTSA. The last thing BC needs is an under the radar school who views this as a big opportunity to make a splash and will be super motivated as opposed to BC who quit on the season when Jones was suspended.

BC needs someone like Rutgers who is also just playing out the string.

We don’t want UTSA. The last thing BC needs is an under the radar school who views this as a big opportunity to make a splash and will be super motivated as opposed to BC who quit on the season when Jones was suspended.

Hafley needs a beat down, whoever the opponent may be.

Reactions: jstein1955

I thought Jones was out with a "personal issue" as opposed to being suspended.

My Bowl predictions. 12/2/2023, 11:40 pm:

CFP Rankings assumption:
  1. Michigan
  2. Washington
  3. Florida State
  4. Texas
  5. Alabama
The ACC bowl projections:
  1. CFP Semifinal Allstate Sugar Bowl (New Orleans): Florida State vs. Washington
  2. Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami Gardens): Louisville vs. Alabama
  3. Pop-Tarts Bowl (Orlando): Notre Dame
  4. TaxSlayer Gator Bowl (Jacksonville): NC State
  5. DirecTV Holiday Bowl (San Diego): Clemson
  6. Duke’s Mayo Bowl (Charlotte): North Carolina
  7. Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl (New York): Georgia Tech
  8. Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl (El Paso): Miami
  9. Military Bowl (Annapolis): Virginia Tech
  10. Wasabi Fenway Bowl (Boston): Boston College
  11. TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham): Duke
  12. Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa): Syracuse
Note that since the last two bowls are owned by ESPN (who owns many bowls) another ESPN-owned bowl could easily substitute in for either of those bowls.

My Bowl predictions, now with opponents. 12/3/2023, 12:19 am:

I'm more confident in the ACC projections than the opponents.

CFP Rankings assumption:
  1. Michigan
  2. Washington
  3. Florida State
  4. Texas
  5. Alabama
The ACC bowl projections:
  1. CFP Semifinal Allstate Sugar Bowl (New Orleans): Florida State vs. Washington
  2. Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami Gardens): Louisville vs. Alabama
  3. Pop-Tarts Bowl (Orlando): Notre Dame vs. Kansas State
  4. TaxSlayer Gator Bowl (Jacksonville): NC State vs. Tennessee
  5. DirecTV Holiday Bowl (San Diego): Clemson vs. USC
  6. Duke’s Mayo Bowl (Charlotte): North Carolina vs. Kentucky
  7. Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl (New York): Georgia Tech vs. Rutgers
  8. Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl (El Paso): Miami vs. Oregon State
  9. Military Bowl (Annapolis): Virginia Tech vs. SMU
  10. Wasabi Fenway Bowl (Boston): Boston College vs. UTSA
  11. TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham): Duke vs. Appalachian State
  12. Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa): Syracuse vs. UCF
Note that since the last two bowls are owned by ESPN (who owns many bowls) another ESPN-owned bowl could easily substitute in for either of those bowls.

Reactions: BodySuit Man
Looks good, only question is why did you drop Duke so far down?
When Alabama beat Georgia, that meant that the highest ranked Big Ten or SEC team outside the CFP would be Alabama (or even Georgia), ahead of Ohio State.

That highest ranked non-CFP Big Ten or SEC team becomes the ACC opponent in the Orange Bowl. When the Big Ten is the opponent in the Orange Bowl, the ACC gets a new slot in the Reliaquest Bowl. Because the projection in the Orange Bowl Was Ohio State before yesterday but now is Alabama, the ACC lost that slot.

So, that has ramifications down the bowl lineup.

I could see Duke's Mayo Bowl taking Duke, but I thought they'd take UNC if they were available (which under my projections they now are). The Sun Bowl could take Duke, but I think they'd prefer Miami. I don't really see the other bowls liking preferring them this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlantaChuck
I would note that if the CFP does the unthinkable and leaves FSU out of CFP, then ACC loses another top bowl, FSU goes to Oranange to play Georgia, Louisville goes to Gator or Holiday, and you can see further disruptions down the pecking order. BC still likely in Fenway.

I would note that if the CFP does the unthinkable and leaves FSU out of CFP, then ACC loses another top bowl, FSU goes to Oranange to play Georgia, Louisville goes to Gator or Holiday, and you can see further disruptions down the pecking order. BC still likely in Fenway.
BC is in the Fenway. Book it :)

Well, the CFP committee did the unthinkable and left FSU out of the top 4. That is a crazy, crazy decision. They were #3 last week with Jordan Travis already out. Now they are #5? Rodemaker will be back for bowl. This is an absolute travesty.

Updated ACC bowl projections:
  1. Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami Gardens): Florida State vs. Georgia
  2. Pop-Tarts Bowl (Orlando): Notre Dame vs. Kansas State
  3. TaxSlayer Gator Bowl (Jacksonville): Louisville vs. Tennessee
  4. DirecTV Holiday Bowl (San Diego): Clemson vs. USC
  5. Duke’s Mayo Bowl (Charlotte): North Carolina vs. Kentucky
  6. Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl (New York): NC State vs. Rutgers
  7. Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl (El Paso): Miami vs. Oregon State
  8. Military Bowl (Annapolis): Virginia Tech vs. SMU
  9. Wasabi Fenway Bowl (Boston): Boston College vs. UTSA
  10. TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham): Georgia Tech vs. Appalachian State
  11. Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa): Duke vs. UCF
  12. Servpro First Responder Bowl (Dallas): Syracuse vs. Rice
Note that since the last THREE bowls are owned by ESPN (who owns many bowls) another ESPN-owned bowl could easily substitute in for either of those bowls.

Well, the CFP committee did the unthinkable and left FSU out of the top 4. That is a crazy, crazy decision. They were #3 last week with Jordan Travis already out. Now they are #5? Rodemaker will be back for bowl. This is an absolute travesty.

Updated ACC bowl projections:
  1. Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami Gardens): Florida State vs. Georgia
  2. Pop-Tarts Bowl (Orlando): Notre Dame vs. Kansas State
  3. TaxSlayer Gator Bowl (Jacksonville): Louisville vs. Tennessee
  4. DirecTV Holiday Bowl (San Diego): Clemson vs. USC
  5. Duke’s Mayo Bowl (Charlotte): North Carolina vs. Kentucky
  6. Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl (New York): NC State vs. Rutgers
  7. Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl (El Paso): Miami vs. Oregon State
  8. Military Bowl (Annapolis): Virginia Tech vs. SMU
  9. Wasabi Fenway Bowl (Boston): Boston College vs. UTSA
  10. TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham): Georgia Tech vs. Appalachian State
  11. Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa): Duke vs. UCF
  12. Servpro First Responder Bowl (Dallas): Syracuse vs. Rice
Note that since the last THREE bowls are owned by ESPN (who owns many bowls) another ESPN-owned bowl could easily substitute in for either of those bowls.
For the players I would much rather see BC in Birmingham, Tampa or Dallas. Far better than a greenline ride to Fenway.

Would GaTech find Boston more appealing than Birmingham?

For the players I would much rather see BC in Birmingham, Tampa or Dallas. Far better than a greenline ride to Fenway.

Would GaTech find Boston more appealing than Birmingham?
Honestly, anything is possible. I just assume Fenway will push for us

Honestly, anything is possible. I just assume Fenway will push for us
I disagree! Although Fenway itself might think BC will draw fans, which will be questionable, they will use limited hotel rooms and eat few meals in restaurants. That is what the chamber of commerce wants from this bowl game.

I live in Worcester but will not attend a game at Fenway. No football in baseball stadiums.

Reactions: jfmBC
I disagree! Although Fenway itself might think BC will draw fans, which will be questionable, they will use limited hotel rooms and eat few meals in restaurants. That is what the chamber of commerce wants from this bowl game.

I live in Worcester but will not attend a game at Fenway. No football in baseball stadiums.
The Red Sox own this bowl, not a local charity. Look at the list of sponsors. No hotels. No restaurants. The Sox care about selling tickets, not hotel rooms or restaurants. This is true of most bowls these days. It used to be about hotel rooms and restaurants, but not as much anymore. Now about TV ratings and ticket sales.

No doubt BC will draw way more than any other ACC team.

Reactions: Yankee Doodle
This. I was at the ND game and Fenway and the Pinstripe Bowl. Both sucked from a fan experience (not just because we lost both). While I’m at it, I’ll also never again go to an outdoor hockey game.

I went to both Pinstripe Bowls and both of our appearances in the old San Francisco bowl game at the Giants stadium....the sight lines suck but I didn't think overall fan experience was bad given those are both newer stadiums. I haven't been to a football game at Fenway and imagine it would be miserable all around.

Only outdoor hockey game I've been to was at the Linc and it was totally fine (we were in the upper deck and obviously far from the rink but no problem seeing anything). I think the rectangular layout of the stadium is key for hockey to work, football stadiums are good and MLS stadiums I would imagine even better as they're more intimate.

Brett McMurphy:
Birmingham Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. Troy
Gasparilla Bowl: Duke vs. UCF
Boca Raton Bowl: Syracuse vs. South Florida

With the above knowledge, I have to believe BC vs. SMU in Fenway Bowl. Should be confirmed soon.

BC will be big underdog, my guess is 6.5-7.5. SMU is 11-2 and just won their conference. Considering is is a half ass bowl it is as good as an opponent as you could ask for.

BC will be big underdog, my guess is 6.5-7.5. SMU is 11-2 and just won their conference. Considering is is a half ass bowl it is as good as an opponent as you could ask for.
BC Eagles are 14 point underdogs to SMU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT