ADVERTISEMENT

This and that: Game thoughts

duda

All Region
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
So much to break down. Since I am a glass fully empty guy I will start with the negative:

1. He won me over in the first two weeks but the last two weeks but the last two weeks of D Coordinator Lewis scheme has me deeply concerned. I didn’t like some of the scheme last week culminating in playing 10 yards off Luther Burton on 3rd and 8 with the game on the line. If he beats you for a 70 yard TD you live with it, but you can’t give up an uncontested 10 there. Last night I didn’t like the soft zone all night. Maybe I am wrong because we had 3 int’s, but there were wide open receivers all night, we were saved due to facing a scattershot QB. Blown assignments in the secondary on multiple occasions as MSU left a ton of points on the board. Teams are going to run crossing routes on us going forward, not a lot of sideline to sideline speed to deal with it. The execution on D was brutal. Tie game beginning of the 4th quarter, MSU ball on its own 2 yard line and they shove essentially a 98 yard drive(rb missed an easy TD catch) down your throat. Multiple 3rd and longs and you couldn’t get off the field. Nobody has mentioned it but the prevent defense at the end was abysmal. Soft all over the place. That game was heading for MSU having 3-4 plays from our 10 yards line with about 15 seconds left and I think that was what the staff was angling for which is absurd.

2. Whoever on the offensive staff who insists on turning Castellanos into a pocket passer should be demoted. He is making bad decisions on holding the ball and taking terrible sacks the worst being the 3rd down decision after the kickoff fumble on the first series of the second half. Someome must have talked to him because there was much less of it after that drive. Figure out an offevsive set where you are not in the shotgun on 4th and 2 feet.

3. Castellanos review is complicated. He hasn’t taken the leap, I don’t even think he has taken a baby step. I will credit him in the back end of this post for the game winning drive but his accuracy, consistency, and decisionmaking all need to go up a level. And this comes from someome who is a big fan of his. I love his happiness and representation of the school.

4. Bradley/Robichaux are supposed to be 2 of our biggest 4-5 playmakers. Bradley was destroying everyone in preseason camp, then got injured and has not recaptured his spot. I wonder if this is a lingering injury..

5. More screen passes please.

6. Bond had a bad drop that stalled a drive on 1st and 10 as BC was moving on a pass at the line of scrimmage and went backwards on a few plays where the 1st down marker was a dive away. But again he will get praised later in my post.

7. Two fumbles inside the 10 yard line, usually that ends in a loss. Need to some ball protection, re-education.

8. Shit show leading up to the field goal with a delay of game was infuriating.

9. This may seem trivial but I was in the car all day yesterday and was listening to a bunch of other games on Sirius. As that as a platform, Meter and Cronin are very well below average. Meter can’t keep the situation stable. Isn’t the job to make the listener feel like they are watching the play..Meter is a hot mess. Lot of 2nd and 4, handoff to Ward and he is cut down behind the line of scrimmage, then nothing for 30 seconds, then Castellanos over center, 3rd and 2…way too much of this.

The good

1. Fan base. A+++++++++++. Monumental effort under those conditions. I am glad they got to storm the field, well deserved.

2. 3 int’s. I bashed Lewis above but there are some positive results.

3. Castellanos, as uncomfortable as I feel watching him sometimes, I didn’t have an overwhelming doubt that he was going to go down the field at the end. And coming from me, that is saying something. I doubted Flutie. The kid has a ton of winning qualities and instincts which is so important.

4. Bond is his comfort target. Big plays and per the coaches he was open all night. There os some room for some big time numbers this year.

5. The hit to cause the fumble coming out of the tunnel to me was the biggest play of the game. Fired up the crowd and changed momentum. If MSU gets the ball there and marches I think it’s curtains for BC which could have turned into a very deflating night.

6. Kudos to Lombo for making his first field goal after an important drive went backward. To come up empty there would have been super deflating.

7. Great catch on the game sealing interception . Lot of bodies and arms flying in his view.

8. Winning. So much better than losing.

9. W. Ky is just such a wrong time game. They look like they are pretty solid and a noon game after the last two weeks is a game that BC has sleepwalk potential all over it. BC better be more prepared to go than they were last night or they will be down double digits quickly. I have a son at UPitt, they had back to back weeks of insane comebacks ending with a last second win over their rival WV. They played Youngstown Stare yesterday, I told him that Pitt was going to lose. Pitt stomped them from the opening snap. BC needs to do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.