ADVERTISEMENT

The Rundown (3/17)

JRowland

All Region
Staff
May 29, 2001
Just trying to tie together a few developing story lines here.

Apparently Joseph Goff and BC aren't on exactly the same page when it comes to when the best time to commit is. He is a really good player and especially valued because he lives so close to campus. Steve Addazio was very honest with Goff about when the Eagles could fill up. One could interpret that as "pressure," but I'm sure Addazio would tell you, me and Goff's inner circle that he's just being up front -- "If you want to come to BC, we want you, but the spots will only be here for so long."

That's not just talk. We've been saying BC only has around 15 spots this year. Three are filled. In Goff's case, they're probably only taking one or two defensive tackles.

You might say, "June? There are 12 spots left."

I'd say this: April, June and July, in my experience, are the months with the most recruiting action as far as commitments. And commitments often come in large numbers rather than as a slow trickle. So in the period of a month, say from the start to the end of June, BC could very easily fill up.

I'm told that Goff is someone that BC would indeed like to have. But there are multiple players at the position that would likely be takes right now. Don't think they're sweating it, but they aren't writing him off, either. If they want him they might need to be willing to wait.

As for Ronnie Blackmon, as we said, he will visit at the end of this month. So will Kobie Quansah. I think BC has a legitimate shot with Quansah. I think their chances are better with Isaiah Wright, who I'm pretty high on as an athlete. In Blackmon's case - really good player. As is true with Goff, he is not a 'must'. Lots of good defensive backs out there and he's 5-foot-10 and skilled but it's worth noting that size in the secondary is a trend across the board nationally.

I do not know where things stand as regards the quarterback search. The interesting situation is Jay Rose. He could be a QB at Boston College, but here's the issue: He's not as 'pure' a QB target as some others and with a very small class you probably don't take two quarterbacks in back to back classes. They could take him as a QB/ATH and more of a proven QB with more of a history at the position. Just not sure yet.

Malik Staples is a top RB target from Georgia who has been planning to visit. Oregon State offered him recently. He's been on the road a lot lately visiting Auburn, UNC, NC State, Duke, etc. Don't think he ends up at any of those schools. Honestly I think BC, Oregon State and maybe one or two others could long-term be in the best position because he's willing to travel and he's a power back fit, which those schools like ....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News