So what does BC need to do to make the NCAA?

Discussion in 'BC Hockey' started by walker4bc, Feb 25, 2017.

1. walker4bc

walker4bc All Region
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Do we have to win the Hockey East tourney or would making the finals be sufficient? I know everything seems like a long shot at this point, but I'm just curious what it would take.

2. bcingu

bcingu All State
    Expand Collapse

Looking more like they need to win it all. A lot depends if several other teams also on the fence collapse now. 3-1 probably will not be enough but 2 wins over UVM and one over BU would be big boosts. Not sweeping the quarterfinals would make winning it all necessary. Of course if upsets win other tournaments that could eliminate spots too.

3. tkden

tkden All State
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Jerry's teams have always been known for late season wins, call it a March Charge, looking like it won't happen this year.

RMB'62 likes this.
  4. maverick65

maverick65 All Region
    Expand Collapse

The latest simulations have BC at a 15% chance of making the NCAAs. 6% at large and 9% winning HE.

5. RMB'62

RMB'62 All Region
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, we just don't have it this year. That is really disappointing to me, because the sport that stood out most for me as a student was a close tie between hockey and football...loved those Beanpots! I wonder if Jerry is getting too long in tooth for a HC - hey, I'm 75, and I always say that the calendar doesn't lie. I really wonder if our real signature sport will go the "Leahy way." Looks like the trend in college hockey these days is to recruit older "one-and-dones" and get a one-off natty.

6. BC-Eaglekeeper

BC-Eaglekeeper All State
    Expand Collapse

This team can win 4 in a row. They are in every game and there is no outstanding team in HEA this year.

JY is as good as ever, winning a share of the RS title with 9-10 freshman playing every night. Losing 7 underclass men plus last year's seniors would mean 8 wins for most coaches. With the talent coming in over the next 2 years don't be surprised to see JY win back to back Natty's when these freshman are juniors and seniors.

7. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Agree, while they are not as dominating at the they were from 2006-2012 they can still be dangerous. They need to clean up the defense to protect against behind the goal line scoring and get some puck luck of their own. I look for them to make it to the Garden and from there anything can happen. The first Beanpot game I think the Freshman were a little awestruck, this time around not so much. Just need to get there.

8. Pete1919

Pete1919 Walk-On
    Expand Collapse

I would be shocked if this team got to the Garden
    This is based upon what my 2 eyes have SEEN in February
    This team is not good enough talent wise (at this stage of the players development) or physically strong enough
    They have struggled mightily the last 3 years to beat ND / Vermont and only last year escaped

9. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Two ties with UVM 10 days ago, one which included an egregious non call that directly led to a UVM goal. Played UML fairly even although UML was the better team on both nights, Not clear why this would be so shocking. HE is fairly even 1-6, BC doesn't have the talent advantage they used to enjoy and they seemed to have lost confidence in Feb, but we are are now in the second season so we shall see. UVM has to earn their way to Kelley, which I think they will do but don't be surprised if Maine takes them to three games.

10. 14BigSticks

14BigSticks All County
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think the Eaglekeeper has it right; these kids, the Freshmen, are exhausted, and it shows in their inability to keep up with these 23 and 24 year olds. My thought; enjoy what you can and wait til next year.

11. BCMaroon&Gold

BCMaroon&Gold All State
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If they clean up their D lapses and stay out of the penalty box they could surprise in the HE tournament.

12. SteveG.

SteveG. All County
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You'd have to sit the 5 seniors and Casey Fitz to get your wish. PIM: Gaudreau (Sr) 12/40, R. Fitz (Sr) 14/28, Calnan (Sr) 8/27, Savage (Sr) 11/22, Cangelosi (Sr) 10/20, and, C. Fitz (So) 13/28.

FWIW... it's not so much that these guys get more PIM than the others, but it's WHEN they get them. BC making a comeback, has momentum, down a goal, and one of these guys winds up in the box. Or, 2:00 or 3:00 to go in the game, down a goal... and one of these guys winds up in the box. It's painful to watch.

Some shut down goaltending would be a great help as well. Eliminate the softies.

12 SteveG., Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  13. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

MG has cleaned it up since the Beanpot consolation when he took two in the last 10 minutes. RFitz and Calnan need to do the same.

14. BC-Eaglekeeper

BC-Eaglekeeper All State
    Expand Collapse

Calnan needs to really step up and contribute like Brown and Matilla (#26). We desperately need to get two of those three on a productive line with White. Also, White needs to shoot more, he is terrific at passing the puck, but he has a great shot as well. He is a real team player, but I want to see him be a little more selfish this month and next month!

15. SeaCapTim

SeaCapTim All State
    Expand Collapse

White needs to make himself into a productive player. He is the issue, not the players on his line. Jerry has placed everybody but Gretzky on his wings the past two months, and recently banished White to right wing. Time for White to play up to his talent, and forget about his damn NHL career.

Mod40A likes this.
  16. yy

yy Walk-On
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

For them to make the NCAA'S Joe Woll = Ken Dryden

17. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Woll needs to be better, particularly when the puck is behind him but the defensive breakdowns are really the key, limit the odd man rushes, keep the defensive coverage in place when the puck is below the goal line, oh and score more than 1 goal. That will help make everyone better.

18. BC-Eaglekeeper

BC-Eaglekeeper All State
    Expand Collapse

They are in every game, it's not Woll's fault. I agree it has a lot more to do with coverage in the D zone especially down low.

19. penzancepoint

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My point on Woll was he's going to have to carry the team if they
    are going to have a chance.

20. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I agree no softies, he needs to play like he did in the beginning of the season. They all play better and good things will happen. I think this week off will help them and JY will use the time to rebuild their confidence. Now is the time when sticks get put away, so if they want to keep playing they need to start playing with their hair on fire. Looking forward to next week end.

21. BC-Eaglekeeper

BC-Eaglekeeper All State
    Expand Collapse

The first half of the schedule was against the bottom half of the conference. The 2nd half was against the top half of the conference less Brown for a month, thus the fewer wins. They played well the last two weekends very similar to the first half, but the competition was better than the first half.

22. bcingu

bcingu All State
    Expand Collapse

Sweeping Vermont is key to getting in without winning the HEA championship. Even 1 loss there should doom them without winning it all. Providence taking out Notre Dame would be very helpful as BC already takes the Pairwise comparison from PC. They need to catch Notre Dame as well. Air Force is a team BC should want to lose except not in the AHC final. If AFA makes that game you want them to win. Not so sure we want Wisconsin to beat tOSU yet as BC could still catch tOSU but Wisconsin winning could put them out of reach. The same applies to North Dakota and St. Cloud. St. Cloud would still be catchable if they beat UND but UND winning would put them out of reach. But it appears the only way to an at large for BC is sweep Vermont and win the semifinal at the Garden.

23. tkden

tkden All State
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The people at USCHO think BC has to win the HE tournament to get in but I'll clue all of you in on this, Denver has won 11 straight and nobody is going to beat the Pioneers the rest of the way.

24. BC-Eaglekeeper

BC-Eaglekeeper All State
    Expand Collapse

Denver is the favorite, but they are not that far ahead of the rest of the pack to give them their 8th title just yet.

I want our freshman to get NCAA tournament experience and keep our streak alive.

25. bcingu

bcingu All State
    Expand Collapse

The top 10 PWR teams are pretty much shoo ins with very little chance of dropping out. Top 3 could lose out and are still in no matter what. For an at large BC needs to focus on the teams ahead of them that they still can catch(Cornell, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Notre Dame and Vermont), around them teams that could stay ahead of BC(Air Force, tOSU, St. Cloud) and a couple just below them that could still pass them(Omaha and Northeastern). St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac are extreme longshots for an at large so much so that we will not even consider them because their chances involve BC being out. Vermont is one team BC can control by sweeping them. The best hopes are for those around them to beat those just ahead of them and then falter in the next round so BC could pass them all.

26. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Looks like Merrimack can book tee times for next week, sticks are being put away. Umile gets closer to 600 wins and he remains the coach. NU goes across town to play BU. That series will go three games, should be a real battle.

SteveG. likes this.
  27. SteveG.

SteveG. All County
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I don't want to see BC 'back into' the tournament. They had their chance to qualify on their own merits and couldn't get it done. They have one more chance to make amends and that would be by winning the Hockey East Tournament. If they can accomplish that, they just may have a shot at doing some damage in the dance. Any other way and they'll be a one and done anyway. JMO.

maverick65 and RMB'62 like this.
  28. bcingu

bcingu All State
    Expand Collapse

Probably right because any other way they are a 4 seed and play a #1. Should they win Hockey East they possibly could be a 3 seed.

29. ella22

Expand Collapse

Honestly, the D have been horrible. I am confused as to why jerry and greg have made no changes here. Moore and McGinnis have been terrible and Campoli is a healthy scratch every game. Kind of funny since Campoli killed it the in the Notre Dame victory and has not been on for I GA this season. Coaches make no adjustments.

30. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

We should see Campoli, maybe he has the size to handle Bowen. That kid looks like a fullback on skates. He is a load.

31. BC-Eaglekeeper

BC-Eaglekeeper All State
    Expand Collapse

I could not agree more on Campoli, but Connor Moore had played very well, especially for a freshman. MCInnis is undersized to begin with and he is only a freshman which is why I cannot understand Campoli getting more games.

32. SeaCapTim

SeaCapTim All State
    Expand Collapse

Don't you think York knows who his best players are? Campoli has shown little. Moore is excellent and McInnis is fine. The team can not score goals when they play BU, UMass Lowell, Vermont. 3-1, 2-0, 2-2 etc. White and Fitzgerald need to produce starting this weekend.

32 SeaCapTim, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    MN-Eagle likes this.
  33. ella22

Expand Collapse

To be honest, I am not sure what York is doing. Campoli has not been given an opportunity at all and has the size and skill to make a difference. Respectfully have to disagree on McInnus and Moore. They are disasters defensively and look like the key stone cops on the PP. Agree with you about Fitzgerald, though.

34. maverick65

maverick65 All Region
    Expand Collapse

Were you around when he played Danny Linell on defense?

35. maverick65

maverick65 All Region
    Expand Collapse

The PP has been a legit disaster. It's demoralizing to watch.

I hope they practiced the PP a ton the past two weeks.

36. penzancepoint

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion the PP was better earlier when they were passing
    the puck around much quicker. Overall the passing has not
    been as good as it was in the beginning of the year.

37. SeaCapTim

SeaCapTim All State
    Expand Collapse

Campoli
    Campoli showed nothing at USNDT one year ago and nothing at BC. Give me an example of this skill to which you are referring, as I must have missed it.

38. ella22

Expand Collapse

Wow such a hater. My post was less about Campoli and more about the fact that whatever Jerry and Greg have done with the d is not working. I am unimpressed with both MciInnis and Moore defensively and find it odd that the coaches have made no adjustments. Regarding Campoli I have no idea about lat year but the games i have seen him play at BC i have been impressed with his d, and the fact that he has not been on for a goal leaves me wanting to see more. I have not seen enough yet to decide, but he has the only size of the 4 freshman d. My brader point is the coacing leaves me perplexed.

39. dnalondon

dnalondon All Conference
    Expand Collapse

It is hard to impress anyone when you are dressed in a suit in the stands. Hard to know if he will be a huge add to the D but McInnis has a lot of learning to do. I think Mittila is a real loss at this time of the year. They are all Freshman but I hope that they play like they did at the beginning of the year. We are now playing more highly skilled teams with lots of experience. Goal scoring can make up for some defensive miscues. We need to score more than 1 or 2 goals to win these upcoming games. We are hanging by a thread right now for the NCAA but I remain optimistic that they will put it together this week end.

40. SeaCapTim

SeaCapTim All State
    Expand Collapse

Problem is with the offense, including the power play. This may have been York's best coaching effort, as he took a freshmen loaded team to HE regular season title. Team can not score the last month against the top HE teams.