ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weekend at Bernie's

Eaglehoof

All Region
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2006
OK, not that Bernie (was a dead man ever more funny?) but Bernie Sanders, our senator from Vermont. Sanders serves on the Budget Committee and has written a letter to the US Trade Representative voicing his concerns regarding the Trans Pacific trade agreement which has not yet been passed. I would love to copy and paste the entire letter, but I am computer challenged (it is in adobe), but I will type in what I consider a key sentence:

"It is incomprehensible to me that the leaders of major corporate interests who stand to gain enormous financial benefits from this agreement are actively involved in the writing of the Trans-Pacific free trade agreement while, at the same time, the elected officials of this country, representing the American people, have little or no knowledge as to what is in it."

I underlined what for me is the key phrase, that the trade agreement is not being written by members of the US Congress, it is being written by the corporations themselves. And if that is not bad enough, our representatives are not even being allowed to see it. This is clearly sufficient proof that we are no longer a democracy, we are a corporate state. So we have a lot of work to do. The first step will be to educate the public, because you will not see Bernie's. letter, or even a legitimate discussion of the subject, on FOX or even CNN. The major media, which is now owned by entirely by only 5 corporations, all of which are non-journalistic organizations, simply will not report this.
This post was edited on 2/6 5:38 PM by Eaglehoof

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News