ADVERTISEMENT

About last night . . . a few thoughts

eire1993

All State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2002
So much fun to see a BC team show up for a huge, nationally televised game and play a brand of football akin to that that we all loved two+ decades ago -- that is, stout on both lines, ability to run the ball, tough and disciplined D.

TC was impressive even if not quite as electric as he showed at times last year. I'm sure he'll take over some games with his legs going forward, but since FSU couldn't consistently stop the base runs between the tackles, or figure out the wheel routes, there was really no need to for him to call his own number consistently, or push the ball downfield. That said, both of those options will be needed going forward and knowing they have the personal to run the ball sets up nicely for QB keepers and play action.

Really liked what I saw from the backs vs what was considered FSU's strength -- their DL with a bunch of future NFLers. Not many long runs but some really tough, positive 3-4 gainers. KR was as expected and outside of the fumble had a really nice night. Ward looked really solid too (sans drop on the wheel route on that first drive). Some hard nosed runs in the 2nd half. Turbo was impressive in his first action with a few bruising runs and showing some nice burst through the line.

OL and DL (which were concerns of mine in this game in particular given the high praise for their counterparts on FSU) really dominated. Congrats to Jack Conley as he has taken a ton of shade on the site, but held up well last night. Looks like there is some solid depth on the DL too. Very promising start for both positional groups.

The tackling was excellent outside of that long TD (but that WR is a beast).

Only one penalty is perhaps the best stat of the night outside of the final score.

ST looked solid in limited action. Gunners on punt team need to be better at tracking the ball as they missed a couple of opportunities to really pin FSU down deep, but outside of that not much to critique. Hopefully BC has a reliable FG kicker inside of 40 yards and the returned Stone has been lauding can help the field position battle.

Game at Mizzou is going to be a huge challenge but I love that they have that game on the schedule early as it will give the team, and us as fans, a great sense of where this team is vs a legit top 15 team. Play that team tough and my take is that this team is way ahead of schedule (i.e. the BOB rebuild) and an 8 plus win season is possible. Win it, and talk of a playoff run is warranted. Amazing to even be writing that, but after last night, who knows, as there are really no juggernauts remaining on the schedule.

BC football is fun again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.