ADVERTISEMENT

The Rundown: NSD Behind the Scenes

JRowland

All Region
Staff
May 29, 2001
I'm told everything went as smooth as could have been hoped for on National Signing Day. There were no negative surprises, which is always the first hoped for outcome. All the letters of intent were in by 10 a.m., with Ray Smith coming in from California. No hiccups, and that requires more planning than one probably appreciates.

Asked sources about Evan Kelly and just what's expected. Sometimes it's tough to make a prediction on outcome based on FCS production. But Kelly played very well against NC State last year and had a sack against Duke before that. Kelly was so good at Richmond it would be a major surprise if he's not at least serviceable.

The Kelly situation didn't come together with 100-percent certainty until late. NC State and Pitt were heavily involved with him. NC State obviously knew about him from that game where they faced him.

"He's a guy that will definitely provide depth for the position" he's expected to play, I was told late yesterday. BC had been talking to Kelly. "He'll probably have an impact similar to that of Seyi Adebayo. For context the Columbia transfer had three sacks to his credit. He wasn't one of the team's leading tacklers but when called upon he was a producer and a help. That's the impression I got when it comes to expectations.

We were monitoring the academic situations of Davon Jones and Taj-Amir Torres and the good news is those situations were good enough for BC to go ahead and accept LOI's from the two. My understanding is it will still be a matter of monitoring things over time. They might not be out of the woods yet and will need to finish strong.

BC's staff will be back in the office on Monday. They've been handing out offers right and left. BC didn't offer quite as many kids super early, at least as early as some other schools that can just dump them out en masse without doing a lot of academic/background research. Hutzler in Texas has been one of the story lines. He's been doing serious work there. And the other news item to report on the recruiting front is that Al Washington will be picking up western Pennsylvania, if you hadn't already noticed from the new offers there. That's just an area that hadn't been very kind to BC and it's a place where they felt like they were probably selling themselves a little short.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News