ADVERTISEMENT

Damn That Fisher

Eaglehoof

All Region
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2006
Apparently Jumbo does not care about the number of stars. I guess he is not a frequent reader of this chat board.

FSU's 29-game win streak started in November 2012 and ended last month as the Seminoles fell one victory short of playing for their second consecutive national title. That run of dominance is easily traced back to 2010, when Fisher became FSU's head coach. He immediately sparked the Seminoles' on the recruiting trail, bringing in mostly blue-chip recruits to revitalize the program. While elite prospects like Jameis Winston and Lamarcus Joyner lived up to their lofty billing to help make FSU a perennial contender, it was lesser-known recruits who helped supplement the roster.1

Offensive linemen like Tre' Jackson and Cam Erving - who both became multi-year starters and are expected to be taken in the first three rounds of the 2015 NFL Draft - are examples of under-the-radar prospects who were disregarded by recruiting services and most college coaches. From 2010-12 - Fisher's first three recruiting classes as FSU's head coach - the Seminoles brought in 29 players with a composite ranking of three or two stars. The composite ranking is compiled by averaging the rankings given to recruits from recruiting websites such as 247Sports, Rivals, Scout and others. Most sites use a star system to grade recruits, with the best players earning five stars.

Of those 29 two- or three-star players FSU signed, 12 became full-time starters for the Seminoles and five are either in the NFL or expected to be drafted this year.

"We evaluate them in person, we watch them in practice and then we get them in camp and evaluate with our own eyes," Fisher said when asked about his commitment to targeting lesser-known prospects. "I don't care. I don't need somebody telling me what a player looks like. If I do, I'm in the wrong business."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News